The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   News & articles for discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/news-articles-discussion/)
-   -   Florida Cold Kills Result in Fisheries Changes (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/news-articles-discussion/12350-florida-cold-kills-result-fisheries-changes.html)

Editor 01-20-2010 08:21 AM

Florida Cold Kills Result in Fisheries Changes

This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Florida Cold Kills Result in Fisheries Changes

mcnerney 01-20-2010 11:07 AM

Re: Florida Cold Kills Result in Fisheries Changes

Paul: thanks for posting, Frank had mentioned that he was afraid Florida was going to have a big fish kill due to the extreme cold weather this winter, looks like he was right.

Larry

wilky 01-21-2010 05:06 PM

thats alot of dead fish :( i would never have thought it would get that cold in florida

vince

sandfly 01-21-2010 07:27 PM

funny theres stripers and mullet in that pic. they are up north when water temps are in the 50's and lower. makes ya wonder hoe=w cold the water got and for how long.. And don't southern fish migrate to deeper water when the temps drop...

Editor 01-26-2010 11:22 AM

I think part of the problem in places like Florida bay and the everglades area is the extent of shallow water. I would guess that many resident fish in those areas would have no idea which way to head for deeper water.
Apparently the snook have been hit particularly hard in some places.
Sad but part of nature and hopefully they will rebound. Maybe more interesting is what effect the cold will have had on the prey species and invertebrates??

captdexter 02-03-2010 04:35 PM

Capt. Dexter Simmons of KeyWestFlyFishing.com here. The cold weather did kill some snapper, grunts and ornamentals, a few snook and some barracuda here in the Key West area, BUT NO REPORTS DEAD TARPON, BONEFISH OR PERMIT HAVE COME IN. :) The upper Keys and mainland coastal Florida took the biggest hit as far as the BIG 3 SLAM species (Tarpon, Bonefish, Permit).
:(

Guest1 02-05-2010 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captdexter (Post 80986)
Capt. Dexter Simmons of KeyWestFlyFishing.com here. The cold weather did kill some snapper, grunts and ornamentals, a few snook and some barracuda here in the Key West area, BUT NO REPORTS DEAD TARPON, BONEFISH OR PERMIT HAVE COME IN. :) The upper Keys and mainland coastal Florida took the biggest hit as far as the BIG 3 SLAM species (Tarpon, Bonefish, Permit).

The newspaper article I saw on the fish kills had a photo. Smack in the middle of the photo, dead Bonefish. A friend of mine in FL told me he had a dead Tarpon by his house, along with a really big Grouper. One article I read said something like 7% of the states Snook may have joined the choir invisible. Thank goodness for Global warming. If it wasn't for that you'd be ice fishing for the survivors.
:welcomean to the site. Captain!

BigCliff 02-05-2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captdexter (Post 80986)

Lucky for y'all further west. I think there were collected between Miami and Islamorada-
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...g/DSC01823.jpg