The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 07:21 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default Florida Cold Kills Result in Fisheries Changes

This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Florida Cold Kills Result in Fisheries Changes
Old 01-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida Cold Kills Result in Fisheries Changes

Paul: thanks for posting, Frank had mentioned that he was afraid Florida was going to have a big fish kill due to the extreme cold weather this winter, looks like he was right.

Larry
Old 01-21-2010, 04:06 PM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough

thats alot of dead fish i would never have thought it would get that cold in florida

vince
Old 01-21-2010, 06:27 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

funny theres stripers and mullet in that pic. they are up north when water temps are in the 50's and lower. makes ya wonder hoe=w cold the water got and for how long.. And don't southern fish migrate to deeper water when the temps drop...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-26-2010, 10:22 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough

I think part of the problem in places like Florida bay and the everglades area is the extent of shallow water. I would guess that many resident fish in those areas would have no idea which way to head for deeper water.
Apparently the snook have been hit particularly hard in some places.
Sad but part of nature and hopefully they will rebound. Maybe more interesting is what effect the cold will have had on the prey species and invertebrates??
Old 02-03-2010, 03:35 PM

captdexter is on a distinguished road

Capt. Dexter Simmons of KeyWestFlyFishing.com here. The cold weather did kill some snapper, grunts and ornamentals, a few snook and some barracuda here in the Key West area, BUT NO REPORTS DEAD TARPON, BONEFISH OR PERMIT HAVE COME IN. The upper Keys and mainland coastal Florida took the biggest hit as far as the BIG 3 SLAM species (Tarpon, Bonefish, Permit).
Old 02-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by captdexter View Post
Capt. Dexter Simmons of KeyWestFlyFishing.com here. The cold weather did kill some snapper, grunts and ornamentals, a few snook and some barracuda here in the Key West area, BUT NO REPORTS DEAD TARPON, BONEFISH OR PERMIT HAVE COME IN. The upper Keys and mainland coastal Florida took the biggest hit as far as the BIG 3 SLAM species (Tarpon, Bonefish, Permit).
The newspaper article I saw on the fish kills had a photo. Smack in the middle of the photo, dead Bonefish. A friend of mine in FL told me he had a dead Tarpon by his house, along with a really big Grouper. One article I read said something like 7% of the states Snook may have joined the choir invisible. Thank goodness for Global warming. If it wasn't for that you'd be ice fishing for the survivors.
to the site. Captain!
Old 02-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by captdexter View Post
Lucky for y'all further west. I think there were collected between Miami and Islamorada-
Click the image to open in full size.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.