The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 08:56 AM

zimmett is on a distinguished road
Default Tippets using berkley fireline

I wondering if I could use Berkley Fireline 8lb. as a tippet. Its size is 4X or apprx .007. I would attach it to a 3X tapered leader.
Will this Fireline work. I love it because of its strength.
I'm also looking at Premium Furled Leader uni-thread. Do you know anything about this? Or should I just stick with standard tapered leader. On E-Bay you can get this Furled Leader for as little as $4.50.
Also the berkley fireline is smoke in color, thanks again

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 AM ----------

I wondering if I could use Berkley Fireline 8lb. as a tippet. Its size is 4X or apprx .007. I would attach it to a 3X tapered leader.
Will this Fireline work. I love it because of its strength.
I'm also looking at Premium Furled Leader uni-thread. Do you know anything about this? Or should I just stick with standard tapered leader. On E-Bay you can get this Furled Leader for as little as $4.50.
Also the berkley fireline is smoke in color, thanks again
Old 03-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tippets using berkley fireline

Fireline isn't remotely clear, so I wouldn't want it as a tippet. Its also limp as all get out, so your leader may not turn over very well.

The Uni stuff you're seeing sounds like thin mono intended for building furled leaders, and not in any way a leader itself.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Cliff,

Fireline has out a new Fireline Crystal that is supposed to be nearly clear. Here is what Cabela's says about it.

"If it were any clearer, it would be a mono. Years of research and development by the scientists at Pure Fishing® have culminated in this incredible fishing line - the first translucent superline for near invisibility. Provides the ultimate in diameter-to-lb. test ratios along with the stealth needed for spooky fish and clear water."

I think it would work if not too stiff.

Frank
Old 03-05-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Cliff,

Fireline has out a new Fireline Crystal that is supposed to be nearly clear. Here is what Cabela's says about it.

"If it were any clearer, it would be a mono. Years of research and development by the scientists at Pure Fishing® have culminated in this incredible fishing line - the first translucent superline for near invisibility. Provides the ultimate in diameter-to-lb. test ratios along with the stealth needed for spooky fish and clear water."

I think it would work if not too stiff.

Frank
Frank: I purchased some 6 lb fireline crystal last year. I was told that fish would probably see it, too large as a tippet.
I feel that fireline has superior strength compared to other monos and tippets.
Any thoughts, thanks Steve Zimmett
Old 03-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Steve,

I have not used Berkley Crystal or even seen it. According to Berkley the 4lb line is the size of 1lb mono. The 6lb is the same size as 2lb mono. They don't list the diameters in thousandths so I can't verify that. I would think the 4lb would work. According to Berkley even the 6lb should be OK.

You want to find a line to replace tippet that is not made to be a tippet. You should expect some compromises if you place cost at the top of your list. I would think that 4lb Mono, Fluro or Berkley Crystal would be a reasonable compromise for tippet. If you are trying to find something to replace 7X tippet I think you are wasting your time.

What I recommend if you are fishing for Trout, Pan Fish or even Bass, is to use normal tippet that is made for the job. You can get soft or hard to meet your requirements. Tippet is expensive but I usually have to toss some of it due to age rather than using up a 30yd spool. If you use a lot of tippet then there are 100yd spools available. Unless you guide the 100yd spools are way too much material if you want to keep it fresh.

Frank
Old 03-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Steve,

I have not used Berkley Crystal or even seen it. According to Berkley the 4lb line is the size of 1lb mono. The 6lb is the same size as 2lb mono. They don't list the diameters in thousandths so I can't verify that. I would think the 4lb would work. According to Berkley even the 6lb should be OK.

You want to find a line to replace tippet that is not made to be a tippet. You should expect some compromises if you place cost at the top of your list. I would think that 4lb Mono, Fluro or Berkley Crystal would be a reasonable compromise for tippet. If you are trying to find something to replace 7X tippet I think you are wasting your time.

What I recommend if you are fishing for Trout, Pan Fish or even Bass, is to use normal tippet that is made for the job. You can get soft or hard to meet your requirements. Tippet is expensive but I usually have to toss some of it due to age rather than using up a 30yd spool. If you use a lot of tippet then there are 100yd spools available. Unless you guide the 100yd spools are way too much material if you want to keep it fresh.

Frank
Wisdom here from Frank. High quality, fresh tippet is money well spent. Rio, SA, and Cortland all make good stuff. I've also been known to stick with a small spool of 8lb Trilene for bass.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:10 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I've used 6lb Vanish for streamers. Works out nice.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:30 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I have used 4lb vanish and 4 lb berkelys fireline for tippet, the vanish seems to work better, unless the water is cloudy. As Frank and Cliff said, the fireline is not clear, my wife bought it to do her craft stuff with and I snagged about 10 feet of it. I fished it twice, once in clear water, and had not hits, switched to rio tippet and caught several. the second time, the water was cloudy and I landed one 12 incher, buddy caught several that day, I have not used it since. The vanish works good for streamers, but is a little floppy (limp) for dries in my opinion. I have been tying it on as a dropper and it seems to do ok in that function as well.

Dave
Old 03-16-2010, 03:05 PM

Well I guess I got the right answer:
Subject: RE: [Select One] Tippets
> Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 07:35:23 -0500
> From: PureFishingInquiries@purefishing.com
> To: zimmett@hotmail.com
>
> Hello Steve,
>
> Yes, the Fireline can be used as tippet.
>
> Thanks for choosing Pure Fishing.

Berkley® is a registered trademark of Pure Fishing, Inc.© 2010 Pure ...