The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 02:22 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Utah set to halve river access

I am going to get a list of all YES people and make sure they don NOT get my vote.
I wish I could say all one party, but there where a few Demo's that said yes.

The scary thing is, they got this and pretty easy when you think about it. We didn't matter at all, well maybe for ONE YEAR.
So, what next?
Old 03-31-2010, 02:48 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I love the USA, but I don't know how un-American these sort of thing is. The first european settlers had a very clear idea of private land and enforcing
boundries. The Native Americans didn't agree, and the fight was on. The Indian Removal Act of 1830, forced eastern tribes to accept treaties that moved them to western reservations, and securing lands for white settlers. The Mormon migration into Utah resulted in the Shoshone Indians becoming essentially beggars in their own lands. While Mormons thought it was better to feed the Shoshone than fight them, things did not work out well, and the result was the Bear River Massacre.

I'm not on the side of the landowners in Utah, but we can get a small taste of what native americans felt with this sort of legislastion. Give them hell, and fight the good fight. We stand a much better chance than the Shoshone did....

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

Here is some info regarding Easement: Easement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's wikipedia, but it's something...
Old 03-31-2010, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Deseretnews story.
Gov. Herbert signs bill restricting access to streams on private property | Deseret News

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 03-31-2010, 05:13 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Start scalping 'em.... Is there a TU presence in Utah? Do landowners want
to sell access to their property?
Old 03-31-2010, 06:00 PM

cromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nice

It is a shame and a huge loss to all who fish in Utah.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:35 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
I love the USA, but I don't know how un-American these sort of thing is. The first european settlers had a very clear idea of private land and enforcing
boundries. The Native Americans didn't agree, and the fight was on. The Indian Removal Act of 1830, forced eastern tribes to accept treaties that moved them to western reservations, and securing lands for white settlers. The Mormon migration into Utah resulted in the Shoshone Indians becoming essentially beggars in their own lands. While Mormons thought it was better to feed the Shoshone than fight them, things did not work out well, and the result was the Bear River Massacre.

I'm not on the side of the landowners in Utah, but we can get a small taste of what native americans felt with this sort of legislastion. Give them hell, and fight the good fight. We stand a much better chance than the Shoshone did....

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

Here is some info regarding Easement: Easement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's wikipedia, but it's something...
The Shoshone were more in Idaho (but then a lot of it was settled by Mo pioneers.)
It was just amazing the bull$hit thrown by ranchers and landowners and the legislatures ate it al lup. No one was asking to camp, lunch, or play around on their land. I'm sure there were some incidents of tresspassing, but there is no public record of any that we could find.
Politics- but the angler and I hope the Utah water enthusiast will remember this in November at election time.

BTW, the argument from most landowner is- how would you like to have someone walk into your house and sit on the couch and make themselves at home.
The fact of the matter is from the USC- the water user has the right to touch the bottom of the stream or river and fish it. Access must be from a public access and they must leave at a public access.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:40 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! This is a huge set back for fishing access in UT. I sure hope the Utah outdoor enthusiasts vote Gov Herbert out of office, this is a total shame!

Larry
Old 04-01-2010, 11:12 AM

I posted a link for easements earlier in this thread. The new law in Utah is basically in line with the common law definition of public access and easement. According to the Salt Lake Tribune, "The Utah House has voted to restrict public access to streams that cross private property except where anglers and others can prove a continuous use has existed for at least 10 years." (see article here: Utah House votes to curb stream access - Salt Lake Tribune )

Edit: Here's the bill itself: http://le.utah.gov/~2010/bills/hbillint/hb0141.pdf

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

Edited Again....

Here's Utah's DWR take on the new law: CLICK HERE You can still float any water in Utah, and can go around any obstructions that might be placed in your way.

Regarding the one year moratorium, I can't find any mention of this other than Frank Hugelmeyer's statement. The governor also signed a senate bill that would establish a task force to further examine this issue.

Last edited by FrankB2; 04-01-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:38 PM

cromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nice

Being able to float the water sounds good and looks good on paper but reality is only the Green below the gorge is really float able water in the state for trout. We are loosing over 7,000 miles of river water.

As far as the 10 year rule, that access has to be proven in court. I can only imagine how that will play out.

The task force, I don't have much faith in them at this point but will try.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:25 PM

I don't want to post a link to another flyfishing forum, but there is a Utah
FF'ing forum, and this is being discussed there.

Where is it stated that access has to be proven in court? I'm not trying to
be argumentative, but I didn't read that in the bill. The bill does state that the winning side does have the right to recoup attorney fees and cost in a
court case.