The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 10:50 AM

dresch is on a distinguished road
Question which rod to take

I am going up to Yellowstone in September and have two rods, one a four piece orvis 4wt that will fit in my suitcase and the other is a two piece sage 5wt. Is the 4wt going to be enough by itself,or take both. Can the two piece be take on luggage? If not how would it travel. Ok to check it without getting broken?
Old 04-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: which rod to take

I would take two rods...to solve the problem I'd buy a 5wt 4 piece one on e bay...
Old 04-01-2010, 11:04 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

You would have to check in your two piece rod as luggage. Make sure that it is in a protective tube.

You can always sell your rod and buy a new one.

Another option is to send your rod through your choice of carrier, then you can have it sent back. I have done this for a few of my customers. Last year one of my customers went to Maine. I shipped his tackle to the lodge that he was staying. I also gave him a return label. All he had to do was pack up the box and slap on the label and have someone take it to a UPS authorized shipper.

MP
Old 04-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I call high class five***** service MP
Old 04-15-2010, 11:36 AM

mrpro is on a distinguished road

I would definately take 2 rods, but I would make sure both could be packed. I always take 2 rods with me when I travel, as I have had "unfortunate" things happen, wont go into detail as I don't want to tempt fate!!!!!

Hope your trip goes well, maybe put some pics on when you get back!
Old 04-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Since you are familiar with the Yellowstone fisheries you must know where you are going to fish. With that said you may have a rod of choice. A 4wt I don't know the length, will be fine for small waters and tippets but if you venture onto the large rivers, Madison, Yellowstone, etc in the area I would want a 9' 7wt unless I were floating.

I do what MP has advised, I like to ship all my tackle beforehand with either FedX or UPS and travel light.

Ard