The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   News & articles for discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/news-articles-discussion/)
-   -   Tackle review - Allen Fly Fishing XL 5/6 Fly Reel (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/news-articles-discussion/13277-tackle-review-allen-fly-fishing-xl-5-6-fly-reel.html)

Editor 04-06-2010 05:24 AM

Tackle review - Allen Fly Fishing XL 5/6 Fly Reel

This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Tackle review - Allen Fly Fishing XL 5/6 Fly Reel

imxer 04-06-2010 10:38 AM

Re: Tackle review - Allen Fly Fishing XL 5/6 Fly Reel

Hi Frank,

Read your review this AM, thanks for putting it together..

The first thing that caught my attention was the discrepancy between the weight of your XL 5/6 and what Allen shows in their specs, about 1 oz , making your reel about 20% lighter.
I have made a practice of recording the weight of all my reels, and rods. Just something I enjoy, obviously doesn't effect their fishability. Results have been interesting.

From what your review found, it seems obvious that quite a bit of thought and planning went into the XL prior to production. The reception the reels have received from Forum members seems to demonstrate that. Will post the weight of my XL when it comes in.

Regards,
imxer

gbanker 04-12-2010 08:33 AM

Thanks for the review Frank. I hear a lot about sealed drags on saltwater reels. Not sure what the drag system is on this reel.

ab fisher 04-12-2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbanker (Post 88357)
Thanks for the review Frank. I hear a lot about sealed drags on saltwater reels. Not sure what the drag system is on this reel.

on all of the prior to now XL reels there is no sealed drag. as far as i am aware he is designing one with the sealed drag.

Tajue17 04-14-2010 06:44 PM

I like the looks of this reel,, very curious how big the 9# reel will be but the price is as good as it gets..

I need to upgrade my old medalist cause the handle knob is worn and sticks so that 5# is perfect!

allenflyfishing 04-14-2010 06:53 PM

Hello, I'm not going to do a 9wt in the reel. The one that I had made that was larger than the 7/8 wt just wont hold that much backing. I do have a 7/9 wt in my Trout Series www.allenflyfishing.com/trout.html Its a large arbor reel with some highlights from the XL and the Alpha Series.

Hope this helps

Justin

Frank Whiton 04-15-2010 04:42 PM

Hi Everyone,

I weighed the reel on a postal scale and it may not be as accurate as it could be. I was surprised, but glad, that it came in lighter than what is posted on Allen Fly Fishing. Justin is trying hard to provide an inexpensive well built reel with good features. I like the fact that the spool has a nice wide arbor even if that sacrifices some backing. The XL 5/6 is primary a Trout reel and a sealed drag is not that important to me. The one I reviewed had a enclosed carbon disk drag but not really what I would call sealed.

If you look at this photo you will see the stainless cup that holds the drag disk. This stainless cup goes inside of another lip with close tolerances. You would really have to work at getting sand into the drag.

Frank

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...en_Photo_4.jpg

imxer 04-16-2010 10:16 AM

Frank,

Justin sent one of his trout 5/7 reels to me that weighs the same as the number he uses in his specs, 5.8 oz.
The description of it would be the same as most, or all, that have been posted so far.
Also, good service and communications that compliment the value of the reels he offers.