The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 10:47 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: the effect of the digital world

Working for years as a photo guy for a paper, I had my camera chained to me 24-7.
No matter where I was, it was adjusted to the light exposure, within reach, and I was ready to capture any action. House fire, earthquake, vehicle carnage.
Even all of the above simultaneously!
I finally realized they are going to line the bird cage with my life shortening efforts. Why live less just to help out a parrot?
I do get a few digital pics of fish, but I am in the moment now, rather than watching.
For me, only one or two fish every year warrant a pic.
Knowing that one of those may decline to pose, leaves me with one good fish photo to cherish. Seems enough.
As far as the folks who talk on the water, or restaurants, I think bigfly's personal short range jammer is the product for you.
The FCC may recall it, but in the meantime, one click and their signal is interrupted.
Of coarse, when everybody has one, none of us will be able to talk.
"Bringing back civilization one great product at a time."

As far as GPS, I'm only ever temporally disoriented, not lost.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 05-08-2011, 08:16 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I nearly always carry a digital camera but only use it when I see (or catch) something that warrents it. I still don't own a cell, I just don't need to talk to anyone that bad that I need to have a phone on me all the time. Have there been times when I could have used one, sure but its never been a neccessity.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:34 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

At 41, I grew up kind of in between Old and New schools. And when I was younger I was all about the new, modern, high tech whatsiz gizmo of the week.

Now, I look at things differently. The only thing I bring with me when I'm on the water, is a camera. The phone stays in the car (not a big deal since 99% of the water I fish is without cell service), and since I've been reading maps and using compasses pretty regularly since I was about 9, I see no reason to carry a GPS. Besides, I don't want to lose the skill of map-reading and compass navigation. I've fished with guys with GPSs that get themselves lost. Or the batteries give out, and they get lost. It's amusing, but also a little disturbing.

Anyway, I purposely keep all electronics out of my fishing experience, except the camera. I'll take a few pics of the place, a couple of the fish, and a few of my friends. If I get lucky I might get a pic or two of a few herds of elk or whitetail, maybe a bobcat or a mountain lion, maybe even a bear.

Otherwise, I don't even wear a watch most of the time on the water. And I don't fish with people who insist on talking on the phone while fishing. It's almost as annoying as people who text while you're trying to have a conversation with them.

So, no phone, no GPS, no watch, no iPod (if that's the thing that holds 10,000 songs and sits in your shirt pocket. Fortunately for me, most of the guys I fish with are of the same mind, which is probably part of the reason we like to fish together. Just peace, quiet, and immersion in the environment you're in.

In other words, Facebook can wait for your update until you get home. Seriously.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 05-11-2011, 05:13 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough

What I like is being able to take my iPhone out, snap a shot on the riverbank and instantly post it to Facebook and Twitter (and now we can all access the forums remotely too so could upload here too if I wished) in real time.

Just must try harder not to drop it in the river like I did last year!
Old 05-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
I finally realized they are going to line the bird cage with my life shortening efforts. Why live less just to help out a parrot?
That's funny stuff Jim It is exactly where the news paper ends up in this house...........

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-12-2011, 11:10 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Ard, if parrots could read I might have carried on.
I'll add, the digital thing is great for fishing!!!
Especially underwater.

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 05-17-2011 at 06:55 PM.