The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 06:40 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default Skin Cancer Is On The Rise

This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Skin Cancer Is On The Rise

I thought it very worthwhile sharing this precautionary reminder to us all that long hours in the sun can do us a lot of damage, as the author attests to in the article linked to above. Please do read this as make sure you are taking the appropriate precautions. The pasty white English feet attached to the extremely sunburnt legs in the photo are mine and just prove one moment of forgetfulness can prove very painful.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:57 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Skin Cancer Is On The Rise

Just to add... use chap stick (or equivalent) - they come in different SPFs up to 45. And use it frequently.

I thought I had a bad case of chap lips until I saw the doctor. If it doesn't heal... get it checked!
Old 05-12-2011, 08:38 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Plus 1 on what DHayden said, if it doesn't look normal get it checked out. Use a high SPF on your face and hands and if you're out all day re-apply during the day...

Dan
Old 05-12-2011, 11:22 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to get spots frozen or cut off every six months. If you catch this stuff early it is no problem. BUT YOU HAVE TO GET CHECKED.

I have a friend who had a spot no bigger than a bb on his leg, he now has a 6 inch scar on his leg but they saved his life. The big nasty "melanoma" can be small on the surface but will spread like tree roots under the skin.

Dave
Old 05-12-2011, 11:58 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Skin Cancer Is On The Rise

This thread is 'a chilling read,' but a darned important one! Here on the upper Rogue, even in late August, the river water temperature will still be in the high 40's/very low 50's ... but it can be 105 degrees in the shade.

Many of of just 'wet wade' with wading boots/swim trunks/shorts. Never gave that much thought ... until I read the above. Double jeopardy with sun coming down and being reflected back up on bare legs .....
Old 05-12-2011, 02:14 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I know it's hotter but I've started wearing long sleeve t-shirts because of the sun. I should get some sunscreen though because I always have a redneck and hands after a long day out.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

This story is important on many levels. Anyone who fishes or hunts have a high level of exposure to the sun. Long term exposure to the sun will eventually result in sun damage and possibly skin cancer. If you have a dark tan you are getting too much sun for the long term.

Not just sun exposure is a reason to get checked by a Doctor. Moles require constant monitoring. Any changes over time is a definite warning that something is happening and should be checked. We have a dear friend who had a small mole on her cheek and it finally got a little bigger but she ignored it. Finally when it stated to bleed they discovered cancer. She has recovered but lost the jawbone on one side along with all of the teeth and one complete ear. For the past ten years she has received nourishment through a tube in her stomach. Not a pretty story but it could have been prevented.

Living here in Florida our summers run 90 to 95 degrees. I wear long sleeves, long pants a hat with a cape and use sun block on any thing that might get some sun. The fellow I fish with a lot wears shorts, T-shirt and sandals with no socks. He has a terribly dark tan and I worry about his future. I always offer him sun block but most times he doesn't use it.

So please anyone who has something on their body that was not there in their youth or something has changed, get checked out.

Frank
Old 05-13-2011, 06:26 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw355 View Post
I know it's hotter but I've started wearing long sleeve t-shirts because of the sun. I should get some sunscreen though because I always have a redneck and hands after a long day out.
JW, drop a few dimes and get the 'UV' protective shirts and pants. I've three of the shirts and one of the pant, but (until I read this thread) usually un-zipped the legs bit and wore them as 'shorts.'

Not anymore......
Old 05-13-2011, 07:14 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

columbia has a great line of fishing specific clothing as does redington. i have a bunch of there stuff and wear it often. also got a par of "dr shade" fingerless gloves, that go with me everywhere. plus a good sunscreen for the rest.

casey

ARFE
Old 05-13-2011, 10:49 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Skin Cancer Is On The Rise

I would like to endorse fully what Frank said.

I'd also like to offer this caution about hats. For some reason, fly-fishing and ballcaps seem to go together. This works well until you get skin cancer on your unprotected ears. I'd like to see the fishing clothing industry get responsible and promote full brim hats or the equivalent instead of always promoting logo ballcaps.