Hardy & Greys announce major breakthrough in rod design

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Reaction score
Probably the biggest news in fly fishing this year or even the decade breaking right now.
What do you think of this announcement - will it have the impact they say it will?

BigCliff

Reaction score
Probably the biggest news in fly fishing this year or even the decade breaking right now.
What do you think of this announcement - will it have the impact they say it will?
No.

I'd rather be wrong, but I can't help but think its just the latest gimmick to sell $700 rods. Its timing shortly before a impending debut from Loomis, billed with similar hyperbole, also seems telling.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
It will certainly be interesting come January when the public can get their hands on the new rods for casting.

Larry

Pocono

Reaction score
Well, you can't test cast hyperbole, that's for sure. We'll all have to wait until they go into production to see if they're worth the premium that they will undoubtedly seek to command.

Within reasonable bounds, the more I fish the more I become convinced that its the skill of the fisherman and not the quality of the fishing gear that really counts.

Will I try out the new Hardy rods.........ummmmmmm.....................sure!

Pocono

michaeln

Reaction score
Betcha if you slam a car door on the tip it'll be toast like any other rod. ;-)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Within reasonable bounds, the more I fish the more I become convinced that its the skill of the fisherman and not the quality of the fishing gear that really counts.
I heard that........................... Remembering that I have caught more AK. Salmon with my Quarrow Bighorn Drake than any other rod is always my starting point when I look at a $700 fly rod. Not that I don't like 700 dollar rods; it's just that, well, I have enough of that line up.

I do own a Grey's Platinum X 7wt and I like it just fine. They make a good rod.

Ard

Brewmaster

Reaction score
Only $700? Anybody want to take a bet it will be more like $800 ??

I am sure the new rods will result in a lot of analysis & testing articles in fly fishing magazines, and will also generate a ton of postings in various blogs & forums. I hope the companies are successful in selling lots of the new high-tech rods to folks that have plenty of extra $$. After all, a strong fly fishing manufacturing environment also drives technology down into lower-cost rods.

Will I buy one? Absolutely not! I think Pocono's comment is right on the mark, and I find that I enjoy fly-fishing just fine with the rods I currently own.

troutchops

Reaction score
Wasn't the Orvis Zero Gravity rod the most advanced fly rod in 25 years, then a year later it was obsolete. It was replaced by the next most advanced rod in 25 years.....Sorry, I just don't buy into it.

cb

Reaction score
Wasn't the Orvis Zero Gravity rod the most advanced fly rod in 25 years, then a year later it was obsolete. It was replaced by the next most advanced rod in 25 years.....Sorry, I just don't buy into it.
I do ! - I was there at the launch and handled these rods. These rods are fast actioned and very light yet strong - and they will not be super expensive either.

Twice I have had Spey rods snap on me while casting (famous makes) once in Norway and once in Iceland. I had a long walk back to camp on both occassions and no fishing that day of course. With this new material - this will be a thing of the past. We can at last have performance and lightness - but not at the cost of durability. The very light-fast rods being sold today are very thin walled and very vulnerable!

Colin.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Obviously there is some promotion going on but that doesn't mean this isn't really something new and a step forward. The Orvis Helios is the one to beat for light weight construction but it does have thin wall construction. If Hardy can build a rod that is just as light but tougher than the Helios, I think it is a step in the right direction. I am working with a Hardy Marksman Rod and it is a lot of rod but not overly expensive. Hardy/Grey's is working hard to produce good casting, reliable rods and this new technology may really prove to be everything they claim. Now if it is priced a couple of hundred below a Helios I would buy one.

The people who will really benefit from a lighter, tougher rod is the Inshore, Steelhead/Salmon, and Spey fishers. With long rods light weight and toughness is highly desirable as noted by cb.

Frank

sixweight

Reaction score
As someone who brings multiple rods and reels to the water with me, I would be more interested in how this rod fits into my arsenal. I don't believe in an all purpose rod and try to match tackle to the conditions. Having said that, I can always use another high quality rod.

imxer

Reaction score
Editor:

While rod technology is a subject I find fascinating and will be following this latest example closely, I have to believe that the tackle distribution system being employed by Manufacturers such as Allen Or Colton etc will have more influence upon fly fishing than the latest "got'a have" wonder stick of this or any year.

Imxer

mojo

Reaction score
Editor:

While rod technology is a subject I find fascinating and will be following this latest example closely, I have to believe that the tackle distribution system being employed by Manufacturers such as Allen Or Colton etc will have more influence upon fly fishing than the latest "got'a have" wonder stick of this or any year.

Imxer
I'm going to disagree. You guys (With Frank being the exception) aren't looking at the BIG picture. Not necessarily in any real time frame, I'll try to explain what I mean. In a galaxy far, far away- or, back in the olden days we all fished with fiberglass (or bamboo). Then some yahoo comes along and uses space aged material called graphite to build some fishing rods.
10 years later, you can't hardly find fiberglass rods for sale (new).
So the graphite is a hit, and it gets lighter (and more brittle) Boron, titanium and all sort's of cr@p go into rod building. Winston and their boron laced rods came and are still here. A few years ago Orvis gets some graphite and thermally (or something cool like that) infuses new "epoxy resins" in the graphite to make it lighter and stronger which they did, you can't deny that.
Again it's another start. Not from the beginning, but ..... The graphite and boron are still here, but the new resins will make lighter and stronger rods. Hardy's/Greys new rod line is coming out and in a month Rejeff/ Loomis have a new rod line out too. Anybody want to place a wager on it and it'll have something to do with the new thermoplastic supercalifragilistic resins impregnated in the good old school graphite?
Just like computers, one breakthrough leads to another and I think this is the next big thing. Unlike computers, it's more than 18 months between breakthroughs.

p.s. as for Allen Fly Fishing (Justin- don't get me wrong, I love your reels) all the stuff that is being built in China, is getting better and better. But it's still a copy of the original I still think Chinese build rods leave a lot to be desired compared to American built rods. Most Chinese rods are copy's of American premium rod tapers anyway.

Last edited:

allenflyfishing

Business Member
Reaction score
mojo.. no problem. I'm also developing a rod aswell that is not made in China. I have prolly 12 samples made so far with changing things as I go. As for it being brittle. I'm adding another component into the blank that prevents that. We'll see, I'm hoping I get to the 2.3oz and the added materail holds true. Project in the works. Working with some great people from my past work that are having fun with it. I have no desire to have a new rod every year to spike sales. I just want to have a good rod that will be around for a long time. Kind of a simple way of looking at it I think.

mojo

Reaction score
mojo.. no problem. I'm also developing a rod aswell that is not made in China. I have prolly 12 samples made so far with changing things as I go. As for it being brittle. I'm adding another component into the blank that prevents that. We'll see, I'm hoping I get to the 2.3oz and the added materail holds true. Project in the works. Working with some great people from my past work that are having fun with it. I have no desire to have a new rod every year to spike sales. I just want to have a good rod that will be around for a long time. Kind of a simple way of looking at it I think.
I think that's why I like Winston rods so much. Not a lot of models over the years. I get dizzy thinking of Sage's models. But I do think the new resin impregnated stuff will take off.

Edit- check it out. Nano supercalifraglilistic resins again. http://saltyshores.com/wordpress/2010/07/15/photography/g-loomis-nrx-fly-rods-icast-2010-las-vegas/
The price is $OUCH.00

imxer

Reaction score
As long as they continue building aircraft of carbon based material, there should be a new and improved "MATRIX" come along every few years.
No questioning the fact that it is all very interesting. Looking forward to more.

oregonsteel

Reaction score
I do ! - I was there at the launch and handled these rods. These rods are fast actioned and very light yet strong - and they will not be super expensive either.
They wont be super expensive? Will the be made in England or "imported" (china or korea)? If they are "imported" will a spey rod be under $400? A Meiser designed rod by TFO costs just over $300.

I think you Hardy fanboys get a bit confused when the term Expensive and Hary are used in the same sentence. Hardy puts out a $80 import reel and charges $250 and only gives it a 1 year warranty and Hardy fanboys gush how inexpensive it is.

mojo

Reaction score
They wont be super expensive? Will the be made in England or "imported" (china or korea)? If they are "imported" will a spey rod be under $400? A Meiser designed rod by TFO costs just over $300.

I think you Hardy fanboys get a bit confused when the term Expensive and Hary are used in the same sentence. Hardy puts out a $80 import reel and charges $250 and only gives it a 1 year warranty and Hardy fanboys gush how inexpensive it is.
I agree with you again, but it's not just Hardy. Asian built reels can be had for $15 when ordered in bulk quantities and Cabelas, BPS, etc. will sell them for well over $100. TFO, Echo, Ross WW, Cabelas and the others selling rods for a couple hundred dollars with less than $20 invested in one.
But that's the global economy and it's here to stay.