The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 10:14 AM

troutbum251 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hardy & Greys announce major breakthrough in rod design

I got to cast two of these rods while they were still in their unfinished prototype stage and they are very light and cast very well. I most likely wont buy one because of the high price tag they will most likely carry, plus I'm a Sage fan so if Im spending that kind of money it would be on a TCX or another Z-Axis.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:38 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hardy & Greys announce major breakthrough in rod design

I casted a prototype SINTRIX 10 weight a few weeks back. It casts just as well as any premium rod. It really did not separate itself from the pack. Actually I prefer the casting ability of the current Zane model more than the new SINTRIX.

My boss took the 10 weight to Christmas Island to test on Trevally or whatever large fish could be hooked. The rod was able to subdue a 35 pound Yellowfin Tuna in less than 10 minutes. Usually 14 weights are used on Yellowfins because they have to pulled back up to the boat. The Hardy had the backbone to pull this fish up quickly. Within 35 minutes, three Yellowfin ranging between 30 and 35 pounds (measured on a Bogagrip) were landed.

The verdict is that the SINTRIX rod is a fighting stick. It is meant to subdue fish fast. The 10 weight was putting the hurt on a 14 weight fish. My guess is that the 12 weight would had brought up the fish faster.

The reel matched up with the SINTRIX rod for testing was the Hardy Zane #2 with a WF10F Hardy Mach Saltwater line.

MP