The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   News & articles for discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/news-articles-discussion/)
-   -   Hardy & Greys announce major breakthrough in rod design (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/news-articles-discussion/13895-hardy-greys-announce-major-breakthrough-rod-design.html)

Editor 05-27-2010 11:09 AM

Hardy & Greys announce major breakthrough in rod design

This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Hardy & Greys announce major breakthrough in rod design

Editor 05-27-2010 11:10 AM

Re: Hardy & Greys announce major breakthrough in rod design

Probably the biggest news in fly fishing this year or even the decade breaking right now.
What do you think of this announcement - will it have the impact they say it will?

BigCliff 05-27-2010 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Editor (Post 92819)
Probably the biggest news in fly fishing this year or even the decade breaking right now.
What do you think of this announcement - will it have the impact they say it will?

No.

I'd rather be wrong, but I can't help but think its just the latest gimmick to sell $700 rods. Its timing shortly before a impending debut from Loomis, billed with similar hyperbole, also seems telling.

mcnerney 05-27-2010 12:22 PM

It will certainly be interesting come January when the public can get their hands on the new rods for casting.

Larry

Pocono 05-27-2010 06:55 PM

Well, you can't test cast hyperbole, that's for sure. We'll all have to wait until they go into production to see if they're worth the premium that they will undoubtedly seek to command.

Within reasonable bounds, the more I fish the more I become convinced that its the skill of the fisherman and not the quality of the fishing gear that really counts.

Will I try out the new Hardy rods.........ummmmmmm.....................sure!

Pocono

Fly2Fish 05-27-2010 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocono (Post 92856)
. . . the more I fish the more I become convinced that its the skill of the fisherman and not the quality of the fishing gear that really counts.

Truer words were never spoken!

michaeln 05-27-2010 10:43 PM

Betcha if you slam a car door on the tip it'll be toast like any other rod. ;-)

Hardyreels 05-28-2010 12:24 AM

Quote:

Within reasonable bounds, the more I fish the more I become convinced that its the skill of the fisherman and not the quality of the fishing gear that really counts.

I heard that........................... Remembering that I have caught more AK. Salmon with my Quarrow Bighorn Drake than any other rod is always my starting point when I look at a $700 fly rod. Not that I don't like 700 dollar rods; it's just that, well, I have enough of that line up.

I do own a Grey's Platinum X 7wt and I like it just fine. They make a good rod.

Ard

Brewmaster 05-28-2010 04:03 AM

Quote:

Only $700? Anybody want to take a bet it will be more like $800 ??

I am sure the new rods will result in a lot of analysis & testing articles in fly fishing magazines, and will also generate a ton of postings in various blogs & forums. I hope the companies are successful in selling lots of the new high-tech rods to folks that have plenty of extra $$. After all, a strong fly fishing manufacturing environment also drives technology down into lower-cost rods.

Will I buy one? Absolutely not! I think Pocono's comment is right on the mark, and I find that I enjoy fly-fishing just fine with the rods I currently own.

troutchops 05-30-2010 12:58 PM

Wasn't the Orvis Zero Gravity rod the most advanced fly rod in 25 years, then a year later it was obsolete. It was replaced by the next most advanced rod in 25 years.....Sorry, I just don't buy into it.