The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default Hardy & Greys announce major breakthrough in rod design

This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Hardy & Greys announce major breakthrough in rod design
Old 05-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Hardy & Greys announce major breakthrough in rod design

Probably the biggest news in fly fishing this year or even the decade breaking right now.
What do you think of this announcement - will it have the impact they say it will?
Old 05-27-2010, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor View Post
Probably the biggest news in fly fishing this year or even the decade breaking right now.
What do you think of this announcement - will it have the impact they say it will?
No.

I'd rather be wrong, but I can't help but think its just the latest gimmick to sell $700 rods. Its timing shortly before a impending debut from Loomis, billed with similar hyperbole, also seems telling.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

It will certainly be interesting come January when the public can get their hands on the new rods for casting.

Larry
Old 05-27-2010, 06:55 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Well, you can't test cast hyperbole, that's for sure. We'll all have to wait until they go into production to see if they're worth the premium that they will undoubtedly seek to command.

Within reasonable bounds, the more I fish the more I become convinced that its the skill of the fisherman and not the quality of the fishing gear that really counts.

Will I try out the new Hardy rods.........ummmmmmm.....................sure!

Pocono
Old 05-27-2010, 07:32 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
. . . the more I fish the more I become convinced that its the skill of the fisherman and not the quality of the fishing gear that really counts.
Truer words were never spoken!
Old 05-27-2010, 10:43 PM

michaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the rough

Betcha if you slam a car door on the tip it'll be toast like any other rod. ;-)
Old 05-28-2010, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Within reasonable bounds, the more I fish the more I become convinced that its the skill of the fisherman and not the quality of the fishing gear that really counts.
I heard that........................... Remembering that I have caught more AK. Salmon with my Quarrow Bighorn Drake than any other rod is always my starting point when I look at a $700 fly rod. Not that I don't like 700 dollar rods; it's just that, well, I have enough of that line up.

I do own a Grey's Platinum X 7wt and I like it just fine. They make a good rod.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-28-2010, 04:03 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Quote:

Only $700? Anybody want to take a bet it will be more like $800 ??

I am sure the new rods will result in a lot of analysis & testing articles in fly fishing magazines, and will also generate a ton of postings in various blogs & forums. I hope the companies are successful in selling lots of the new high-tech rods to folks that have plenty of extra $$. After all, a strong fly fishing manufacturing environment also drives technology down into lower-cost rods.

Will I buy one? Absolutely not! I think Pocono's comment is right on the mark, and I find that I enjoy fly-fishing just fine with the rods I currently own.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:58 PM

troutchops is on a distinguished road

Wasn't the Orvis Zero Gravity rod the most advanced fly rod in 25 years, then a year later it was obsolete. It was replaced by the next most advanced rod in 25 years.....Sorry, I just don't buy into it.