The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 11:32 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default dolly varden fly

an alaskan question.
we are taking our annual trip to alaska this summer and the majority of our fishing will be for dolly varden on the lower kenai peninsula. What would you guys say your "go to" fly would be for dv?

casey

ARFE
Old 06-12-2011, 12:03 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: dolly varden fly

Casey,

You know I don't do beads and am not crazy about glow bug eggs either. Coming from me I need to know how difficult do you want the pattern to be? I don't know your level of fly tying or your materials inventory so telling you what I haul them in on may not help. I have caught them on every fly I've ever cast into the Kenai River if that's any comfort. I prefer streamers and last years hero fly was the Santiam Spectrum, I got a couple 2 foot fish or close enough to look like 2 foot fish and plenty of others on that pattern.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-12-2011, 02:30 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

I haven't fished the Keni area much, mostly because I dont lie people, but I have done pretty well for dolly's on a brown and white Thunder Creek.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Casey,

On my first float trip of the year I used the same fly for 5 days. It only caught 8 fish but that was a month ago and there was still a lot of ice. The fly was a feather wing; The Nine Three. This is why I sort of ask about your tying skills and materials. If I were to quit chasing kings and go char fishing for a day it'll knock the fins off em now.

So....................... when you see these posts from Allen & I how bout letting me know what you can make.

Ard

Old 06-12-2011, 03:56 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute

thanks ard,
i used to tie all the time, and still do a little. having a daughter running around makes you prioritize what you do with your free time. i can tie ok, but with out practice my skills are not what they used to be. send me the pattern and i'll give it a shot.

casey

ARFE
Old 06-12-2011, 07:49 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

Ard put a pic of the nine three up Here Flies for AK. Salmon & Steelhead Fishing
Old 06-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Thanks Allen,

Casey, you don't need to make them so fancy. Just a tinsel body with white bucktail throat and two dark olive and two black saddles for the wings will work fine. They most look like salmon fry or something else good to eat because when swung grease line style through good holding water they will get the dolly's on the hook. At least they are what works for me.

I'm a big fan of feather wings for trout & char and use hair wings for salmon usually.

Ard

Old 06-12-2011, 10:14 PM

thanks ard, i'll give it a try.

casey

ARFE
Old 06-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Administrator

If you have trouble setting the wings PM me and I'll get in touch and try to explain how best to do it.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:53 PM

thanks ard,
i really appreciate all of your advice/knowledge.

casey

ARFE