The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 01:33 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default a smallmoth question

hello all,
ive been on the hunt for smallies lately and having been having a hard time finding a size and pattern that like. i'm used to a basic wooly bugger pattern, but i may have to lower my standard results. ive been thinking orange as well as brown rubber leg buggers may work well.

casey

ARFE
Old 06-16-2011, 06:28 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default Re: a smallmoth question

So far this year, I have had good outcomes with a zonker. Black rabbit strip back, Silver metallique cactus chenille body, and reversed chain bead eyes. I tie it on a size 4 aberdeen
Old 06-16-2011, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Casy,

You don't say if you are fishing lakes or rivers. Most of my Smallie fishing has been in the Spring and in lakes. I have found that Smallies like Chartreuse and they love crayfish. So I think your choice of brown may be good.

Frank

Good Colors
Click the image to open in full size.

Woolhead Scupin

Baby Craw
Old 06-16-2011, 10:38 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

thanks guys, great info.

frank-fishing in rivers.

casey

ARFE
Old 06-16-2011, 10:56 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You can catch dink smallmouth on almost any fly, but if you want to catch the bigger ones, you need to more closely "match the hatch".
That could be bottom dwelling baits such as sculpin and crayfish, free swimming minnows like shad, shiners, and chubs, or larger nymphs like stoneflies and hellgamites. There's lots of flies to choose from, but the basic size and profile is important, as is a realistic presentation.
As for colors, I like to match the water clarity. In stained water, I'll use "earth tones" such as brown, olive, yellow, and gold. In clearer water I like brighter colors like white, black, chartreuse, and silver. Not a hard and fat rule, but for me it makes a difference.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Smallmouth are a pretty predatory fish and I use flies that more closely mimmick the foods they go after. Bait fish, Leeches and Crayfish. The best flies for doing that are the Clouser and baitfish patterns like that. Leech patterns and crayfish patterns. I basically have four flies that if they don't catch Smallies there aren't any around. Just for fun sometimes I use patterns like Dahlberg Divers because they are more than willing to come up and smash a top water, but it is less effective I believe. Here are photos of the flies.
Dan's Crayfish <-link
I can give you instructions for the leech if you want, and it is a killer fly.
Fly Tyer Magazine, Fly Tying, Fly Recipes, Fly Patterns, Fly Fishing - Funny Bunny Emerald Shiner
Old 06-16-2011, 12:45 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Bryan Kelly (owns a fly shop in Shepherdstown, WV) tied me a fly that he said just slays the smallies. He ought to know as he runs a guide service on the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers.

The one he tied me had green/black grizzly tail, rubber-legged hackle and a conehead. Probably a #6 or so.

I am half tempted to ride over there one day, pick up some stuff and tie a few more. He gave me one at a festival I was at with my wife....I think he gave it to my wife because he thought she was pretty..and she is.

Anyway, it does slay the smallies. I caught a few with it on Memorial Day weekend. It was right after spawning, so the fishing was a bit slow.