The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Residents speak out on proposed Pebble mine.

A bit more info to add to what Paul (The Editor) has been posting.
EPA hears out Bristol Bay residents on mining prospect - The Bristol Bay Times

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 06-28-2011, 06:19 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Residents speak out on proposed Pebble mine.

Thanks for sharing that John. Always good to hear the locals view on controversial developments such as this.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:11 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
A bit more info to add to what Paul (The Editor) has been posting.
EPA hears out Bristol Bay residents on mining prospect - The Bristol Bay Times
I used to live in the region. I think it is easy for people who dont understand the scale and scope either the salmon fishery, nor pebble until they can see it for themselves. I am not a greenie, but this proposal is about the worst idea I have heard.

I think the most telling and notable part of that article is that over a hundred people testifies on the issue. Not a single one was in favor of the mine.

While pebble has spent tens of millions on fighting political campaigns and catchy PR ads, promised jobs. The locals on the ground know the situation best and arent buying into the industrialist propoganda.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:09 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

I'm not from that area and I'm far from an expert, but in my own subjective experience nearly every thing man has done on a large scale or enough to at least significant alter the natural environment has had a negative impact on fish, wild life and the ecosystem in general.

This has really been driven home as I have been looking for the best places to fish for trout and steelhead in North America. To my memory the most epic I've found are all places that man has done nothing to signficantly alter the environment. Then again every place that was once great that man altered has had a significant negative impact on fish and wildlife.

I cannot even imagine how Pebble Mine could even be entertained for even a minute as a possibility by Alaskan or U.S. elected and non-elected officials and bureaucrats.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.