The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By Editor
  • 1 Post By acorad
  • 1 Post By GrtLksMarlin
  • 2 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By Editor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Fish&Fly

Editor is a glorious beacon of lightEditor is a glorious beacon of lightEditor is a glorious beacon of lightEditor is a glorious beacon of lightEditor is a glorious beacon of light
Default Carp on the Fly Features in US TV Show

This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Carp on the Fly Features in US TV Show

Fly Fishing the World is filming a new series right now and fly fishing/sight-casting for huge carp on Lake Michigan are one of the species and destinations featured. Who else out there has tangled with a "Golden Bonefish" or "Buglemouth Bass" on the fly?
mcnerney, GrtLksMarlin and dennyk like this.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:15 PM

dennyk is a splendid one to beholddennyk is a splendid one to beholddennyk is a splendid one to beholddennyk is a splendid one to beholddennyk is a splendid one to beholddennyk is a splendid one to beholddennyk is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Carp on the Fly Features in US TV Show

This will be of great interest to me. Thinking of taking a week off this spring just to chase Lake Michigan Carp.

Hopefully I'll have my crossbow sold in the upcoming weeks, got a 9wt outfit I'm interested in.

Denny
Old 01-19-2017, 07:34 PM

acorad is just really niceacorad is just really niceacorad is just really niceacorad is just really nice

This sounds very interesting, I've seen photos of the monster Lake M carp.

I live in Los Angeles and often fish for Golden Bones on the fly in LA's super secret carp river.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Andy
dennyk likes this.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:20 AM

GrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant future

In our lake we have them I'd guess 30+#. Bunches of them. This year, as it seems every year even though the lake is 40' out my back door, I just rarely fish here, and we have awesome fishing. This will be the year Maybe...

B.E.F.
dennyk likes this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:34 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

We have a lot of members who have fished for Carp with a fly rod, the one that stands out to me is John Montana, he was a regular here several years back, but I haven't seen him posting lately. Here is just one of his posts, do a search for threads that he has posted for more info. I do remember that he would travel out to the Great Lakes to fish for the monster Carp out there, I think it was an annual spring event for him.

First carp of 2014 for me
GrtLksMarlin and dennyk like this.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:27 PM

darkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud of

Carp are present in any body of water around these hills. Some lakes have bounties on them, and some have yearly tournaments were people catch and kill as many as they can.

From the 1000s I've caught throughout my life, only 3 have come on an artificial bait.

Seems like quite the astute challenge. From what I've seen, they're not dumb fish.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:00 PM

benpuls98 is on a distinguished road

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
Carp are present in any body of water around these hills. Some lakes have bounties on them, and some have yearly tournaments were people catch and kill as many as they can.
I think you might be talking about a different type of carp. I've seen tournaments like that for silver and bighead carp, but not common Carp.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:19 PM

GrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by benpuls98 View Post
I think you might be talking about a different type of carp. I've seen tournaments like that for silver and bighead carp, but not common Carp.
Here in Michigan, unfortunately it is bowfishing which is big for Common Carp and there are a number of annual tournaments. Fly or conventional fishing however, I'm not sure of.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:20 PM

darkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by benpuls98 View Post
No, it's common carp.

Big Bear Municipal Water District Carp Roundup

No limit, the more you kill, the more the prize money.

They're considered very invasive around these parts, and that argument has been in existence since I picked up a rod as a wee baby Seamus. I've seen them live amicably with other species in larger bodies of water, but I have also seen them run amuck in smaller bodies of water, like your local city pond.

Regardless, they're always a challenge on light gear, and I bet more so with a fly rod.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:02 AM
Fish&Fly

Editor is a glorious beacon of lightEditor is a glorious beacon of lightEditor is a glorious beacon of lightEditor is a glorious beacon of lightEditor is a glorious beacon of light

This was one from the past! Did you see the date on it - from 2011!
GrtLksMarlin likes this.