The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 11:11 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default John Gierach interview

John Gierach is a master at spinning tales, reels - The Denver Post
Old 08-03-2011, 02:02 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: John Gierach interview

Thanx Rip! milt.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:27 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the post Rip

I read one of John's books, a collection of short stories. At first it was great, so different and refreshing but then the stories started becoming repetitious. Reminded me of a Louis Lamor western. He has done a lot for fly fishing and he certainly deserves my admiration for that.

Dave
Old 08-04-2011, 09:38 AM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about

I really liked Trout Bum but was disappointed with "Death Taxes and Leaky Wadders" as it rehashed many of the same stories. I blame myself for not researching it before buying it though. I will probably pick up his new book as I haven't read a fishing book in a while. That and I respect anyone that can make a living out of fishing.

The one point in his books I don't agree with was when he said never go fishing with someone who wants to bring their dog or something along those lines.

I get massive pains of guilt if I load up the car and leave my lab at the house.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:54 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the link, Riptide. haven't read it yet, but will later today.

Swampdonkey, I borrowed Gierach's latest book from the public library, and it's awful. My first thought was that Gierach's publisher had hired someone else to write the book! It's more the ramblings of a weary aging man, and the wit has left his writing entirely. I wasn't entirely impressed with Another Lousy Day in Paradise, but the new book makes that look great. Trout Bum was the first Gierach book I read, and really gave me a new perspective on fly fishing. The books that followed do often recycle material, but No Shortage of Good Days demonstrates that there is a finite number of good stories.....
Old 08-05-2011, 04:38 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I've read Dances with trout and Sex, Death, and Fly fishing. I read the latter first and didn't enjoy it as much as dances with trout, but he was definitely not my favorite fly fishign author. He is a great writer but I can't help but get the feeling that he looks down upon everyone else, just my personal opinion.

I only paid 20 or so for the two on my kindle and will continue to read his books as long as i can get them around ten dollars apiece because they really are enjoyable though.