The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 08:27 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Commercial Fishing of Striped Bass in Hudson River Banned

Governor Cuomo Signs Law to Prohibit Commercial Fishing of Striped Bass in Hudson River

Albany, NY (August 18, 2011)

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo, who is striped bass fishing today, announced he has signed a law to prohibit the taking of striped bass from the Hudson River for commercial purposes, extending a ban that has existed since the 1970s.
"This law benefits both public health and the vibrant recreational fishing industry that is an important part of the local economies along the Hudson River. I thank Senator Grisanti and Assemblyman Abinanti for sponsoring this legislation," Governor Cuomo said.

The law prohibits the taking of striped bass for commercial purposes from the Hudson River located between the George Washington Bridge and the federal dam in Troy. Striped bass fishing is popular among anglers and the Hudson River is New York's main spawning ground for striped bass, attracting many recreational fishermen each year. Because of PCB contamination, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation currently bans consumption of fish from approximately 40 miles of the Hudson from Ft. Edward downstream to Troy and also bans most commercial fishing in the entire river. The New York State Department of Health also advises children and women of childbearing age against eating any fish from the Hudson River. The legislation further ensures that striped bass with possible PCB contamination are not commercially sold, while also helping maintain the striped bass population in the Hudson River for recreational fishing. The law takes effect in 120 days and will sunset on April 1, 2015.

Senator Mark Grisanti said, "As a major tourist draw and popular fishing destination, the Hudson River benefits local towns and villages as well as recreational anglers. With PCB contamination still evident among striped bass in the Hudson, it is important that we extend the ban on commercial fishing to protect public health and the striped bass population. I thank Governor Cuomo for signing this law that will benefit consumers, fishermen, and the striped bass ecosystem."

Assemblyman Thomas Abinanti said, "Fishing for striped bass in the Hudson River has been a favorite pastime for New Yorkers for decades and with this signing Governor Cuomo is ensuring striped bass populations are protected for recreational use only. Extending this ban will continue to protect New Yorkers from the sale of potentially contaminated fish and allow anglers to continue to enjoy the striped bass fishing experience."
Old 08-23-2011, 10:56 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Commercial Fishing of Striped Bass in Hudson River Banned

Good to hear, hope many more signings beneficial to fishing, hunting, and outdoorsmen in general are to follow But I guess beggars can't be choosers...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-24-2011, 02:23 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Great to hear that some folks still feel the Striped Bass should be protected! I certainly applaud the effort. But, sounds to me like all he is doing is extending protection that has already been in place, more than likely for health reasons rather than to protect the species. From what I've read, the Hudson River is not a healthy river, but they are making progress with cleaning it up.

Call me cynical, but is this a real interest in the species or political posturing? I have to wonder why this legislation didn't go so far as to prohibit commercial catches in the entire state of NY? Next year is an election year!

Making Striped Bass a federally recognized gamefish in all states that support them, at least wild stocks, and prohibit commercial catches of wild Striper's in all states would solve the protection problem! However too many varied interests, and too much politics involved for that to happen!
Old 08-24-2011, 02:34 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think this decision was health related. The Stripers I catch in Raritan Bay are the same fish that spawn in the Hudson and swim down through all those "PCBs". I've been eating them for years and my 11th finger is barely noticable...
All they did was extend a ban that was already in place, but it was a good move.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:39 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

My comment about health reasons was directed towards the initial ban back in the 70's, which was likely for health issues. However, I agree that any move towards helping the Striped Bass, regardless of the motivation is a good one!
Old 08-24-2011, 03:21 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
My comment about health reasons was directed towards the initial ban back in the 70's, which was likely for health issues. However, I agree that any move towards helping the Striped Bass, regardless of the motivation is a good one!
I know, I was just messing with you about the 11th finger. I had it removed last week.
I'm not completely agaisnt commercial fishing but harvesting them within the confines of a river during or after the spawn just doesn't seem fair. A dozen boats in the right place, a the right time could wreck the whole population