The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 03:38 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default Virginia: Developer Sues Wade Anglers

Who owns the river bottom on Virginia's Jackson River? Allegheny County and Virginia courts will decide who owns the bottom of the Jackson River, anglers or The River's Edge residential project.

The developer of the residential project has sued three anglers – one is a pastor – because they were wade fishing in front of the development. The developer says it has river bottom ownership deeds dating back to the eighteenth century. The recreational anglers say they were following state fishing maps that show, in effect, that the state is owner. (Roanoke Times)
Old 08-30-2011, 06:30 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default Re: Virginia: Developer Sues Wade Anglers

Laws vary state by state. In Pa., for example, IF the stream was at one time navigable, then wading is permitted. However, if not, the land owner has rites to the waterway bottom. Ohio owns the Ohio River. WV., owns the bottom. In turn, you may fish with a WV license to the first riffle off this waterway into Ohio. The list goes on and on. It will take a decent amount fo research by either party to determine who is correct
Old 08-30-2011, 06:47 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by okuma View Post
Laws vary state by state. In Pa., for example, IF the stream was at one time navigable, then wading is permitted. However, if not, the land owner has rites to the waterway bottom. Ohio owns the Ohio River. WV., owns the bottom. In turn, you may fish with a WV license to the first riffle off this waterway into Ohio. The list goes on and on. It will take a decent amount fo research by either party to determine who is correct
But the developers are going back saying King George and England deeded them the property.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:16 AM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

I was told that here in Maryland the landowner owns the land even if the land is the riverbed or streambed. The state owns the water but unless you can walk on water you cannot fish behind someone's house without permission.
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 08-31-2011, 10:35 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

My question is this though, do they pay taxes on the river bottom?

That would make it pretty cut & dry, if they pay taxes on it, then they likely have a leg to stand on, if they don't pay taxes on it, then the public has a right to wade the river...
Old 08-31-2011, 11:12 AM

ghost_reaper is on a distinguished road

Not to play devils advocate here, but in the States where the land owner owns the bottom of the stream can you technically float in a canoe and or raft and fish out of that?

Just curious.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:15 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_reaper View Post
Not to play devils advocate here, but in the States where the land owner owns the bottom of the stream can you technically float in a canoe and or raft and fish out of that?

Just curious.
Yes...................
Old 08-31-2011, 01:06 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Here in NC i have seen the survey pegs next to the stream does that mean thats the end on property or does it extend into the stream. I have for years fished a stream close to my house with people trying to run me off and me with permission to fish the other side and them trying to tell me they owned the water.I have been told if a property owner owns both sides of the stream you have to float it to be abble to fish it.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:42 AM

flyrodorbust is on a distinguished road

To add one more caution to the float idea; If you anchor mid stream or anywhere else, that is as good as placing your feet on the rocks and constitutes trespass.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:30 PM

rockhunter is on a distinguished road

Laws vary alot state to state, but if you cant legally wade it you can usually legally float it.