Review: Redington CT (Classic Trout) Rod

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

It is great that Redington has a moderate action rod that will be a good fit for many new fly fishers and certainly for dry fly fishing. The price is right on.

Thanks Cliff for a good review.

Frank

mudbug

Reaction score
I had someone recommend the 8'6" 4 wt and so I did some internet searching and found this review when it first came out.

I bought the rod and have used it twice since then and love it.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
My girlfriend has the 7'6" 3 weight. She is very reluctant to let me try it out... especially when she is catching fish with it.

One day I will get a chance to spend more than 10 minutes with it.

MP

sevenmxf

Reaction score
Just got one myself; 9' 6 weight along with a Redington Drift reel. I'm a hamfisted beginner but this outfit looks like it'll serve me extremely well. My initial impressions: excellent quality, great value, smooth, silky, easy to cast even for me.

Cheers!

smwwondra

Reaction score
Redington Rods

CUSTOMER NO SERVICE!!!!! I bought a Redington Crosswater fly rod to use salmon fishing on a long awaited fishing trip to Alaska. My Redington fly rod broke the second day I used it. On the 6th fish I hooked. As far as I'm concerned I paid good money for a worthless product. The real disappointment was when I tried to return it (2 weeks after I bought it) I was told I needed to pay an additional $30.00 to return it and exchange it for what I consider to be an identically worthless rod. Why would anyone want to stick $30.00 into another piece of junk? I asked if I could upgrade to perhaps a better quality rod and was told that I could if I first pay the $30.00 to send my broken rod back and then pay "FULL RETAIL PRICE" for any upgraded rod. What a lousy thing to do to a customer. I paid for their inferior product, got little if any use of the product, was still willing to spend more money on another product from this company and was given no consideration for my loyalty and inconvenience. Any company can experience a manufacturing flaw, but a good company overcomes these mishaps with good, quality customer service. I just plain an simple GOT SCREWED. I always say " you pay for an education". I'd like to pass on to everyone what I learned: Never ever-ever-ever buy from this company PERIOD!!! Some day I hope to be able to go back to Alaska fishing again. Needless to say, I DON'T plan on taking a Redington fishing pole with me if I do.
I'd be happy to share my experience with anyone interested. Just e-mail me at smwwondra@yahoo.com.

FlyBum

Reaction score
Re: Redington Rods

smwwondra: Was it Redington you were speaking directly to that told you this or a shop your purchased the rod or some other fly shop If it was the shop you purchased the rod from were you speaking to the owner?

If it were me and it was the shop where you purchased and if it was not the owner of the shop tell this I would ask to speak to the owner if he was not in I'd ask when the owner will be in. I'm mentioning this, because I have a Sage rod, they own Redington and recently the tip on this rod that I've owned for a very long time broke while fight a fish. I went into the shop I purchased it from years ago and told them about it and all they did was ask if I sent it in. I then went to another fly shop that I have also done business with for years and in talking to the owner I told him about braking the tip of the rod and he told me to bring it to him and he would ship it to Sage and I would not have to pay for shipping. That man will have all my local business from now on.

By the way I also own a Redington, but its a CT 9' 6wt. It has been an excellent rod and its one my favorites.

Sounds like you got a lemon. If your were speaking with the owner of the shop where you bought it. First he'd never get another dime of my business and secondly I'd contact Redington directly since the rod is only 2 weeks old you might be pleasantly surprised at what they tell you. They may be reached at 866-498-7243.

By the way instead of hijacking this thread which is about a specific Redington rod, you should have started a new thread.

pipes530

Reaction score
Well........all i can say about this rod is "I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!" It cast like a dream & you can actully feel the rod as it loads. Great for dry flies & thus far I have landed 3 bronze backs with it. Great job Redington!:)