The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   News & articles for discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/news-articles-discussion/)
-   -   Riverside Christmas trees recycled into fish homes (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/news-articles-discussion/221541-riverside-christmas-trees-recycled-into-fish-homes.html)

Editor 12-27-2011 05:13 AM

Riverside Christmas trees recycled into fish homes

This is a dedicated thread for discussing news item: Riverside Christmas trees recycled into fish homes

Rip Tide 12-27-2011 12:52 PM

Re: Riverside Christmas trees recycled into fish homes

I've done this before for a more selfish reason than recycling.
You can do yourself a favor and create fish holding cover by leaving trees on the ice and marking their location for future reference.
Only you will know where the new "hot spot" is :secret:

fire instructor 12-27-2011 05:18 PM

Because of surface to mass ratio, and because of weight of equal volume of "tree" to water, I would have presumed that a Christmas tree would float , or at least maintain some bouyancy when the ice goes out... At least until it gets completely waterlogged and sinks, but by then, what guarantee is there that it will be in the same location? Am I wrong, or what am I missing??? Are you attaching a weight to sink the tree?

swirlchaser 12-27-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fire instructor (Post 370013)
Because of surface to mass ratio, and because of weight of equal volume of "tree" to water, I would have presumed that a Christmas tree would float , or at least maintain some bouyancy when the ice goes out... At least until it gets completely waterlogged and sinks, but by then, what guarantee is there that it will be in the same location? Am I wrong, or what am I missing??? Are you attaching a weight to sink the tree?

They actually sink. We did the same at the local boyscout camp last year. The boys mapped their tree by using three points of visual reference and went back to fish "their" spot in the spring. By the time we dumped the trees they were so dried out they were basically logs and sank right to the bottom.

littledavid123 12-27-2011 06:30 PM

Tree dropping around here is usually done under cover of darkness unless you want everyone to know where your private honey hole is. :secret:

Dave

fire instructor 12-27-2011 09:13 PM

[QUOTE=swirlchaser;370046]They actually sink. [QUOTE]

Learn something new every day! Like I said during tonight's training session at a local FD, "Make every day a training day!".