The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 04:13 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default Riverside Christmas trees recycled into fish homes

This is a dedicated thread for discussing news item: Riverside Christmas trees recycled into fish homes
Old 12-27-2011, 11:52 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riverside Christmas trees recycled into fish homes

I've done this before for a more selfish reason than recycling.
You can do yourself a favor and create fish holding cover by leaving trees on the ice and marking their location for future reference.
Only you will know where the new "hot spot" is
Old 12-27-2011, 04:18 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Because of surface to mass ratio, and because of weight of equal volume of "tree" to water, I would have presumed that a Christmas tree would float , or at least maintain some bouyancy when the ice goes out... At least until it gets completely waterlogged and sinks, but by then, what guarantee is there that it will be in the same location? Am I wrong, or what am I missing??? Are you attaching a weight to sink the tree?

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 12-27-2011, 05:30 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
Because of surface to mass ratio, and because of weight of equal volume of "tree" to water, I would have presumed that a Christmas tree would float , or at least maintain some bouyancy when the ice goes out... At least until it gets completely waterlogged and sinks, but by then, what guarantee is there that it will be in the same location? Am I wrong, or what am I missing??? Are you attaching a weight to sink the tree?
They actually sink. We did the same at the local boyscout camp last year. The boys mapped their tree by using three points of visual reference and went back to fish "their" spot in the spring. By the time we dumped the trees they were so dried out they were basically logs and sank right to the bottom.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:30 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Tree dropping around here is usually done under cover of darkness unless you want everyone to know where your private honey hole is.

Dave
Old 12-27-2011, 08:13 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=swirlchaser;370046]They actually sink. [QUOTE]

Learn something new every day! Like I said during tonight's training session at a local FD, "Make every day a training day!".

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky