The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 07:54 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: How To Build Your Own Fly Boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
See my article in our TU Chapter Bulletin:

http://www.wrvtu.org/pdfs/TU%20newsl...2011%20rev.pdf
I like that idea too! Altoid boxes and Pinking shears. Haven't seen those since my grandma passed away.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
That's a very nice box on the link, though I'd look hard for one that's just a rectangle, to save the fuss of cutting those insets on the sides.

I made a waterproof BIG fly box a while back, from a Plano container-

Click the image to open in full size.

Cliff, that's another good box. Here's what I got for the tin boat. Plano also. Not sure if it's the same size as yours.
The box is 14" x 14"
I use my Cliff's Bugger Barn for the kickboat. Like the idea of the handle for that application.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:23 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

This was one of my many projects this weekend. I found a clear plastic box with a snap latch and carry handle at Michael's (arts & crafts shop) which is designed for both scrapbookers and for photo collectors. It contains 16 neatly stacked small plastic boxes, all approxiametly 6.5" x 4.5" x 1.25". Michaels had the box as part of a 50% off sale, so I got it for less than $20.

Copying the original iea in this thread, I also purchased several sheetis of 1/4" foam, which I cut to tightly fit in the bottom of each fly box. I cut slits in the foam, 3/8" apart to hold fly hooks.

So for less than $25 I now have a storage box system that will hold more flies than I'll be able to tie in a year!

Thank you for the great idea, Randyflycaster!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-19-2012, 10:47 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

great stuff guys, my next big box will be a homemade job for sure

casey

ARFE
Old 02-20-2012, 04:12 PM

crazyfish13 is on a distinguished road

Yep i've been want some new bass boxes for this season an after reading this i'm making my own!!!! Thanks for sharing

"Me got no house, me all time moving, light fire, make tent, sleep, all time go fish, how have house?
Old 02-27-2012, 01:28 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Most of my large "overflow" boxes are homemade. I find cheap, suitable boxes in the dollar store or wal-mart in the school supplies as pencil boxes and line them with packing foam.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 03-20-2012, 08:59 PM

flymark is on a distinguished road

I did something similar for a boat box myself. I used a slit-foam insert I picked up on close-out from our local Wholesale Sports store, the box and magnetic sheet came from Michael's craft store. I have less than $12 into the box.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:33 PM

heck will become famous soon enough

this is great ! I love the Altoids Flybox and I am definitely making one of my own!

thanks
Old 04-17-2012, 08:19 PM

aquaticsanonymous is on a distinguished road

Nice ideas guys, thanks!