The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 06:22 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default Fly Fishing in Europe - Perch and Fly is Worth a Try!

We have a new feature article published today on our UK site talking about fly fishing for European perch which are very similar to Yellow Perch.

Fly Fishing in Europe - Perch and Fly is Worth a Try!

Does anyone actually target Yellow Perch on the fly out there? Any photos to share?

I seem to remember there is quite a population in Lake Crowley in California that would get caught while targeting the trout.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:49 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Default Re: Fly Fishing in Europe - Perch and Fly is Worth a Try!

I have and it works! They are a tad bit difficult as they take and spit a fly quickly unless it has the smell of bait or bait on it. I found that after I caught a Bluegill or other Sunfish and got their smell on the fly the success rate went up quickly. Another tip is to make a tail on your fly with a small loop of antron, or zelon. As when the suck it in, it becomes snagged a bit on the roughness inside their mouth and helps with hook set time. An offset hook works wonders also as I found using Eagle Claw almon Egg hooks with a Scud pattern tied on them. Of course the obvious and almost a necessity in murky waters is to fish the fly with a tag of a maggot imitation or an actual meal worm. I am a purist when fishing for perch and my objective is catch and release right into my frying pan!

By the way they like their fly fished very close to the bottom or structure.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 02-15-2012, 01:29 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

When I was a High School kid, I spent as much time chasing them as I could. They made their spawning runs into the tidal creeks near my home in the spring, often starting in late February or March. I would cast small white or yellow wet or streamer flies for them, and sometimes added a small gold Colorado spinner blade & a few beads on my tippet ahead of the fly for added attraction & to help get them down. Perch would often run up into the shallow streams to spawn & retreat with the tide back down river to wait for the next high tide. The creeks I fished were shallow, but I knew some of the deeper areas.

I agree with Chuck about them relating to structure, as I caught many around the pilings of piers & downed timber.

Unfortunately, being a kid, my main interest was in catching fish, not how I did it! I've always enjoyed fishing with a fly rod the most, but at that time of year around here, wind is often a problem. I had no hesitation switching from a fly rod to spinning tackle when the wind made my fly casting difficult!

I also caught a fair number of Pickerel while fishing for Yellow Perch, even though they were incidental catches, I always enjoyed it! Usually, as the Yellow Perch run was ending White Perch would be starting their runs up into the creeks, and I caught them on the same flies!

In the last 30 years or so I've not spent much time targeting Yellow Perch, as the water warms up they become harder to find. Work & other obligations limits my fishing time mostly to the warmer months. But, I have caught them numerous times while fishing for other panfish species, and even while fishing for bass.

Dang, I miss being a kid!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:57 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor View Post
We have a new feature article published today on our UK site talking about fly fishing for European perch which are very similar to Yellow Perch.

Fly Fishing in Europe - Perch and Fly is Worth a Try!

Does anyone actually target Yellow Perch on the fly out there? Any photos to share?

I seem to remember there is quite a population in Lake Crowley in California that would get caught while targeting the trout.
Paul, those are actually Sacramento "Perch", and are the only member of the sunfish family native to CA. I believe they are extirpated from their historical waters, but populations exist in Crowley, Bridgeport Reservoir, and in Pyramid Lake, NV, and probably a few others. Most were either planted illegally or escaped live bait. They look like a crappie with largemouth markings, and make fine table fare. Some folks travel to Crowley just to fill their freezer with Sac Perch filets. milt.