The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   News & articles for discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/news-articles-discussion/)
-   -   Now this was a fun read; folks have a private trout hatchery in Montana. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/news-articles-discussion/261244-now-fun-read-folks-have-private-trout-hatchery-montana.html)

fredaevans 04-04-2012 01:12 PM

Now this was a fun read; folks have a private trout hatchery in Montana.

Farming fish: Hamilton couple continues operation of Bitterroot Fish Hatchery

milt spawn 04-04-2012 03:07 PM

Re: Now this was a fun read; folks have a private trout hatchery in Montana.

That was a good read, thanks Fred. I do have two questions though. What is a "goldeneye" trout? And, does the state of Montana stock trout? I was under the impression that they had ceased such practices. milt.

Hardyreels 04-04-2012 03:20 PM

Milt,

It does state that Montana has a wild fishery and no longer stocks the streams. However having a resource like this private operation accessible should it be needed can't be a bad thing.

Ard

fredaevans 04-04-2012 04:01 PM

Milt, I think Ard's right (without beennie-foot of reshrach) KIDDING ARD, JUST KIDDING. Well, no on the research bit.

Montana's 'eco-system' would be hard to replace; it's HUGE and Mom Nature still is in charge. Lakes they do plant, rivers/streams, from what little I know the answer is 'no.'

"If it ain't broke, why fix it?":bowdown::army:

fae

dean_mt 04-04-2012 04:41 PM

Ard and Fred are correct. The state of Montana still stocks some lakes, as far as I know, but do not stock streams.

The brilliance of the wealthy men like Daly "fixed" all the boring grayling/cutthroat rivers by stocking them with Rainbows, Browns and Brookies so they catch fish that looked like the ones they left behind when they moved West.

I don't know what a "golden eye trout" is either, golden eye ducks, yes - trout...ehhh...I know that the state stocked golden trout back in the day.
------------------------------------------
Thanks for peaking my curiosity, Milt...I went for a little google stroll and found this very interesting interview from 2004, which was the 40th anniversary of Montana ending it's river stocking program.

http://fwp.mt.gov/mtoutdoors/HTML/ar...ickVincent.htm

milt spawn 04-04-2012 08:21 PM

Thanks Dean! Another good read. I guess the state uses the hatchery permit process to control what is being propagated and released. Interesting stuff! milt.

dhayden 04-04-2012 08:56 PM

I think that FWP (Fish Wildlife & Parks)sells hatchery raised trout to other states and the feds.. maybe the tribes too.. but I could be mixing up the fed hatcheries with the states

>>
FWP owns or operates ten hatcheries annually stock approximately 50 million fish annually into approximately 836 lakes and reservoirs and approximately 23 rivers or streams throughout Montana. FWPs hatcheries provide eggs and fish to support both sport fisheries and native fish restoration programs in Montana and neighboring states.
<<

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Hatcheries

And the Feds have hatcheries here too:

Welcome - Ennis National Fish Hatchery: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Last time I was there (3 or 5 years?), they had a display raceway of Albino, Blue and Orange rainbow trout - really cool