The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Mac Users, Check Your Security;

I received an e-mail from Fred Evans detailing a large security breach of Apple computers. I am ever paranoid of links so I am not providing one but you can check for news by typing [tomshardware.com] into your search box. Scroll down through 'Latest News' to find the notice about Mac security breach.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-06-2012, 12:22 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Mac Users, Check Your Security;

I heard on the news this morning that the Apple platform is no longer impenetrable...there is a worm in the Apple, so to speak. You Apple users have had it good for a long time...welcome to the world of malware, spybots and worms. It was only a matter of time.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:39 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I think they've always had vulnerabilities...

Now that they're becoming the top dog.. people are targeting them more

I remember some warnings we got 3-4 years ago for the mac platform
Old 04-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Oy. Thanks for the heads up---
Old 04-06-2012, 08:41 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

Macs are super simple to crack into just nobody bothers too. not like I know this from experience (I am also a programmer/ all around nerd)
Old 04-06-2012, 08:51 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post

What Dave Said...

They have never been any more secure, just so small a target that nobody wastes their time on them.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:10 AM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

Already had one, not sure what it was or what it did, heck dont even know how I got it.

I regularily scan my computer with ClamXav, you guys reccomend anything else?
Old 04-11-2012, 11:35 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Mac Users, Check Your Security;

Picked up this link off the UK Forum (I've tested it, it's fine) on how to check out your Mac to see if you've been 'hit' (and the odds are damned good you may have) and how to remove same.

http://mashable.com/2012/04/05/mac-f...-trojan-check/
Old 04-12-2012, 03:51 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post

And they will continue to.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:12 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Don't have a Mac so no "Dog in this fight." But further 'research' today suggests it wasn't the Mac OS that 'failed' but Internet 'add-on's' via Java that had the 'bug.'

Which is why I'm freekie about doing any kind of a down load add on. Stuff via CNET (etc.) I will consider if its going to add something to the Party. Beyond that .... screw it.

Example is I use Mozilla Firefox, and they're up to Beta 12 (give or take) and I still use #4. It works and do I need, would I use, all the extra bells and whistles? Probably not; 'It ain't broke so why fix it?'

fae