The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 05:15 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up You're going fishing, would you leave the Pooch behind?

We're far more interconnected that you may think:

Brain Scans Reveal Dogs' Thoughts: Scientific American
Old 05-08-2012, 07:11 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: You're going fishing, would you leave the Pooch behind?

YES YES See my post last week

Bloodhounds & fishing
Old 05-08-2012, 07:17 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Laughed so hard I had to log off and take a walk. Hard to LMAO and breath at the same time.

Edit: Sandy, the Lab, walked up and asked ' Errm?' Husky's flaked out under my office desk.

As is the norm.
:>)
Old 05-08-2012, 08:44 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Yes yes yes, the beagle stay HOME! I may take my sons, or a freind....MAYBE even my wife if she showed some interest, but will never take the darn dog. ever.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:30 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Here's a quote from Gierach's Trout Bum " People who claim to have 'fishing dogs' are all blinded by love. There's no such thing as a good fishing dog. Stay away from people who bring there dogs fishing" Now I currently have 5, yup 5 and in no way shape or form would I ever even consider taking one of them with me. I'm sure there's some good ones out there but not mine, they've taken over my bed, my couch, part of my sanity and there is no way they are getting there grubby little paws on my fishing time!
fishinkeebs likes this.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:40 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

In my younger years I had a good fishing dog. He was outdoor savy and had a fine memory for the right trail to take in the dark. In the high country he knew what critters were OK and which were not and expresed his opinion. He was calm and only barked at what he should have barked at and he prefered to sleep under a bush. He could swim if he had to but prefered not to. He lived long and well but, as happens with dogs, he is long gone now.

I have two dogs presently that bark at everything, would not know to avoid a quill pig and would be at the wrong end of an encounter with a bear. They can not come astream with us...no way. And neither should anyone's dog that likes the water no matter how well trained. You can't keep a Lab out of the water and should not even try, just leave him home. We have spent a lot of money boarding our dogs so we can go fishing with out being disturbed or disturbing any one else.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:25 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Depends on where I'm going fishing, mostly. If I know I will be hunting risers and doing a lot of sight fishing on low, quiet water then they stay home! Also if I know there are cow pastures near where I'll be walking...home!

Otherwise I take my two dogs with me, they've gotten pretty good over the years. I definitely like having them if I'll be in bear country...they make a racket and stink too!
Old 05-16-2012, 07:11 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Meet Rufus aka "the nose". He now runs our house... He only looks passive & innocent.

Click the image to open in full size.

but he will not let you fish quietly for more than 3 min or so & then he gets bored & all heck breaks loose,,
Old 05-16-2012, 10:35 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I've known a couple hounds...he does NOT look passive nor innocent!
Old 06-18-2012, 11:17 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

I have a blue heeler that loves to go with me, and does not disturb the water as he hates getting wet. I don't take him everywhere, but there are times when I feel like his presence is absolutely not a burden on anyone, he is not in any danger, and he and I enjoy the time together immensely.