The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 07:24 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: How to Maintain your Fly Rod

I don't generally wax my rods anymore for no known reason but when I did, be it with furniture polish or automotive wax, I always made sure the rod was spotless before doing so. My way of thinking is that the wax would simply coat dirt and grime.
To clean the rods I use Scrubbin' Bubbles foam bathroom cleaner spray. The foam really does lift the dirt from the nooks and crannys to be wiped off with a terry cloth towel.

A word of caution passed on to me by a rod wrapping, bamboo rod building friend; stay away from silicone based products on your rods. Those silicone impregnated gn polishing cloths do make a rod shine but if the rod ever needs repair or touching, up new paint or glue has a hard time sticking to silicone residue.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:05 AM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Hello Fly Fishing Friends,

My fishing equipment is a part of my hobby "Fly Fishing" and I like to have the feeling that my rods and reels are in perfect conditions. Because of that I clean up my rod, reel and line after every fishing day. For that I use a silicone oil which has a high viscosity. With that oil I have imbued a smal cloth, which I already use since nearly twenty years. It is right, that on surface which were in contact with silicone sticks no glue or other material, but if this would be necessary, you can sandpaper that area carefully to get a wettable surface.
Also at the water I pay attention that my reel and rod never lay in the dirt to keep them clean.

THORSTEN
Old 11-10-2012, 01:15 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

NEVER clean your cork. It's bad ju-ju!

I believe in that.

And that goes for many things.

Stay away from the Bad Ju-Ju.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:43 PM

trouton has a spectacular aura abouttrouton has a spectacular aura abouttrouton has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
I like the idea of fish slime on the cork but it gets pretty rank when you store your rods in the living room
You must be single LOL
Old 11-10-2012, 08:44 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouton View Post
You must be single LOL
Nope; just a real understanding wife
grassonfly likes this.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:55 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

A few drops of dish soap and running water in the kitchen sink will take care of that. I can see where 'aroma' may add to a guys 'Man Cave' but ladies take a dim view of that ..... or so I'm told.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:07 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
I don't generally wax my rods anymore for no known reason but when I did, be it with furniture polish or automotive wax, I always made sure the rod was spotless before doing so. My way of thinking is that the wax would simply coat dirt and grime.
To clean the rods I use Scrubbin' Bubbles foam bathroom cleaner spray. The foam really does lift the dirt from the nooks and crannys to be wiped off with a terry cloth towel.

A word of caution passed on to me by a rod wrapping, bamboo rod building friend; stay away from silicone based products on your rods. Those silicone impregnated gn polishing cloths do make a rod shine but if the rod ever needs repair or touching, up new paint or glue has a hard time sticking to silicone residue.
Jack, while I think that's true with bamboo, I don't think it pertains to graphite or fiberglass. Reason being, anyone that rewraps a graphite or glass rod, especially one that does repairs, will clean the area with alcohol or some other type of cleaner- thats if they're any good. Bamboo can absorb the wax/ silicone and can cause it to fisheye at the repaired spot. I've used Pledge on my rods and red musclin for floatant ( another no-no with bamboo rods). Any time I've re-wrapped a guide I've always cleaned the area before the repair, and before the re-wrap after the guide was cut off. Haven't had any problems at all.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:23 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I believe in keeping rods clean. If one fishes the salt there is an imperative to doing so and I favor particularly dirty spring creeks and tail waters rich with weed and organic material. On a salty trip I will hose my assembled rods down at the end of each day with the reels' drags set hard to preclude water from getting to the oiled cork (if any). On a sweet water excursion I don't do much cleaning unless unusual circumstances occur. I agree with all who have encouraged us to not lay tackle in a vulnerable location or on rocky surfaces. Leaning a rod up in branches streamsdie is fine and, if one must put a rod down to string it up where no soft surface exists, your hat can be used to protect reel and rod butt hardware. Returning from and extended trip I will wash my tackle. Working in batches and not mixing rods of the same make and color, I'll take up to three at a time into the shower with me. I'll rinse and soap and rinse paying particular attention to the nooks where the guide feet are covered by wraps, towel them down and set them in my office to dry and be admired for a couple of days prior to returning them, with a final inspection, to their respective sleeves and tubes. I do not recommend applying any sort of wax or polish to synthetic rods. They have protective polymer based coatings from the factory or in the case of unsanded rods like old Scotts, the pre-preg excess resin forms a protective shield. Wax can only invite the entrapment of particulates.

Two sticky subjects: 1. Ill mating ferules are bad rod design and should be addressed with the manufacturer. Rods that loosen during fishing are eventually going to break at a joint when you overlook tightening them (all ferrules should be checked periodically during an active day of angling). Equally annoying are ferrules that stick hard when the rod has been left assembled for several days. Yes a bit of paraffin can help but this again is symptomatic of flawed design. Ferrule integrity is something I am critically analytical of when fishing a newly acquired rod. 2. Cork maintenance. We have had fun with this subject in an earlier thread, now like then, I take a middle ground. I would never coat, paint, treat, bleach or perform any other cosmetic aberration to lovely natural cork. However, once a critical mass of accumulated mucus, sunscreen, bug dope and blood sweat and tears have rendered your grip handsomely dark but too slippery to grasp, cleaning is advantageous. I, again during the shower cleaning ritual, squirt some Soft Scrub, or other household mild abrasive cleaner, on the cork and rub it by hand then rinse it off. It does not remove the honorable darkening from use but returns the corks surface to a state allowing correct communication between your hand and rod grip. I assure you, all appropriate superstition aside, a cleaned rod still catches fish and will soil again and again. The main thing is storing rods dry and dark while still risking their well being as frequently as possible by exposing them to the watery elements.
wannafish likes this.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I do not recommend applying any sort of wax or polish to synthetic rods.

Ill mating ferules are bad rod design and should be addressed with the manufacturer. Rods that loosen during fishing are eventually going to break at a joint
That might be fine for a single hand rod, but I wax the ferrules on my two handers every single time I use them. The forces involed in casting a 15' rod are far greater than those of a single hand rod. If you don't it will take less than half an hour and you will cast part of your rod into the water and bust a ferrule as sure as the sun shines. In fact the number one rule of a new two hander should always be wax every time. And it's not a matter of good ar bad menufacture either. It is a matter of physics. If you do it while it's relatively warmer and then fish till the temps drop like I do, you may find it hard to get them apart. I just hold the ferrule in my mouth till it warms up and comes apart.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:03 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Dan, the wax I was referring to was a protective finish on the blank/guides not ferrules. Sure paraffin has been and is used by many as a ferrule integrity agent. I like some of the newer designs such as Orvis and Hardy use where they sand but do not paint the ferrules leaving some matte texture to them for better frictional grip. I am sure big two handers apply enormous stress on ferrules and I understand some still tape them like in the old days.