The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 05:27 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default How to Maintain your Fly Rod

New article posted on theflyfishingforum.com: How to Maintain your Fly Rod

Have a read and then let's hear your best or favorite tips for cleaning and maintaining your fishing tackle below!
Old 06-11-2012, 05:47 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: How to Maintain your Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor View Post
New article posted on theflyfishingforum.com: How to Maintain your Fly Rod

Have a read and then let's hear your best or favorite tips for cleaning and maintaining your fishing tackle below!
I agree with all but one tip. NEVER clean your cork. It's bad ju-ju!
Old 06-11-2012, 07:23 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
I agree with all but one tip. NEVER clean your cork. It's bad ju-ju!
Never heard this before, but it makes sense. The night before I snapped my TFO I had cleaned the cork
Old 06-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough

This has the makings of a whole new thread sometime - "Bad juju - what should you never do before you go fishing?"
fredaevans and thewalker1013 like this.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Paul,

I am in full agreement with Mojo. Whether I have a new rod on the river or one I've been fishing for half my life I make sure to get plenty of mucus / slime, from the first and every fish of the day on the rod grip. As for the rest of the article it seems a little over the top unless you only fish once or twice a year. I've not ever used furniture polish on my rods but do make sure to clean the female ferrules regularly..........

Here's my tips for rod longevity:

Do not make a practice of submerging your rod and reel when taking fish pictures. I have only ever dropped a rod / reel in the water once that I can recall and I have never had drag failures or grout in my reel seat hardware that I can recall.

Unless you are kneeling beside your rod and are completely alone at a river or creek Never Lay a Rod on The Ground, I know of no better way to have one stepped on than this. The practice of laying a rod and reel in the sand, cobble or other stream side rubble will only contribute to what I alluded to earlier; sand & grout in your drags and hardware. Todays reels are also quite expensive whether you fish vintage tackle or a spanking new Ross the less you lay that reel on the rocks the fewer scratches, dings, and most importantly rim chips on the bottom edges of the reels you'll have. Nothing will detract from the resale value of a reel more than chips and other marring.

The tip about using the hard tube is golden rule #1!

As for wiping down after every use........... If you are fishing a vintage un-impregnated varnished bamboo this is of the utmost value but I seldom worry over graphite shafts. If they go in the bag & tube with moisture I remember to open the tube cap when they go back to their spot in the corner of my office. The open cap will allow for the moisture to escape and you will avoid any mildew problems by doing this.

That's all I have and I'll say it again; don't lay those rods on the ground! Find something to prop them on where they won't be laid down by a breeze and get stepped on. And remember, fish slime is a good thing so don't be so fastidious about rinsing your hand every time you touch one. If I had washed off my hands after every fish I would still be somewhere in Pennsylvania trying to get the slime off of me

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-13-2012, 05:52 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

How many of us really do clean our Gear?
I know I always carry a piece of cloth to wipe Slime off The Cork Handle.
Even though I inspect my Rods before using them & sometimes wipe them,I always make sure my Rods & Lines are cleaned,Reels dismantled,cleaned & greased before storage.
I also make a thorough check to make sure all Gear is well dried before storage.
To add to what Ard has said,if you do happen to lay a Rod down for Heavens Sake don't leave it where someone can walk on it,as I see all the time people leaving expensive Rods on or near Walking Tracks & I've nearly stepped on,I don't know how many Rods from people not thinking.
Brian.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:18 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I do clean mine every so often in these exact steps as the article. However I do work from home. I usually have somewhere between 8-12 hrs of conferrence calls between monday and friday alone, so I have to have something to kill the time
I have found Ive bought several used rods that look ok but after doing this to them they look like new.
imxer and fredaevans like this.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:15 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
Never heard this before, but it makes sense. The night before I snapped my TFO I had cleaned the cork
YOU CLEANED THE CORK???????????

Bad person! Bad person. Ju-Ju .... CARMA is everything on the river.

I'm down here in southern Oregon and I can spot a Newbie out of Kalifornia in 30 seconds flat ... most look like "Orvis Boys." Actually had one of our 'old timers' walk up to me and point at my new Korker Chomes ..... 'So the old boots finally wore out?' Think 'shabby-sheek' (is that a word?) and no one even gives you a second glance.

Well in my case some do as I use 2-handers 95% of the time. With three/four on a rod holder on top of the Jeep I look like a WW2 German Army communications car driving up.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:55 AM

derekcj is on a distinguished road

Good advice, thank you. If I may add one more tip. My sticking carbon fibre rod joints caused apoplexy. Twist with your fingers and a line guide breaks and slashes to the bone. Use a gripper of some sort and the rod crushes. Swearing may help, but the best preventer I have found is to coat the male insert piece by scribbling it with an old fashioned soft-lead pencil. Insert it and wiggle it a bit to coat the female. Repeat the process and, bingo, no more sticking,hypertension or spoilt rods.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:19 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I like the idea of fish slime on the cork but it gets pretty rank when you store your rods in the living room