The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 04:35 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Mt Lion attack in Ca

There was thread not long ago about wolves and if they posed a danger to humans. Mt Lions are plentiful out here, and they do see small people as a possible meal. Much scarier to me than a black bear....-Mike

Cougar pounces on sleeping man | SFGate Blog | an SFGate.com blog
Old 07-03-2012, 06:57 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mt Lion attack in Ca

Article in the paper today cougar not Demi Moore spotted by the Delaware River. Last known mountain lion in this area 1860!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-03-2012, 07:19 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Upper Rogue River Valley has a very healthy population of the Kitty Cats. Further south you get (Medford-Ashland) the higher the population due to very large number of deer.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:23 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

We have them in Reno as well, though they pretty much shy away from people. I have seen signs of them, but not kittys have bothered me when I was fishing. Maybe they dont like my deet aftershave

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:21 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Final thought/prediction: As the Ca mtns dry out thru this summer, more big cats are going to be in the news. The So Cal mtn environment will drive starving cats down into the fringes of Orange County and there will be more than one attack on hikers/joggers at dusk on the trails down there.

Too many people, no water, an increasing cat population = somebody will get bit.

Hope I'm wrong, but I'm gonna watch my back around sundown if I'm trekking.

-Mike
Old 07-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Article in the paper today cougar not Demi Moore spotted by the Delaware River. Last known mountain lion in this area 1860!
John,

I made a positive ID on a Mountain Lion at close range on September 19, 1982 in Cogan Station PA. I lived in a very sparsely populated area north of Williamsport and although between 82 & 87' I saw two other animals that were in all likelihood Mountain Lions I stop short of stating that they were. The date and animal I site stood in front of my 1982 Chevy in the high beams for about 2 - 4 seconds before bounding into the bush. I was at full stop because it literally walked out of the brush on the right side of my road and I was traveling slow. I braked and hit the high beam and it walked until it paused for the couple seconds I mentioned. Broadside at perhaps 30 feet, maybe 80 - 90 pounds. I never reported that incident and only shared with best friend and family.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-07-2012, 04:15 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
John,

I made a positive ID on a Mountain Lion at close range on September 19, 1982 in Cogan Station PA. I lived in a very sparsely populated area north of Williamsport and although between 82 & 87' I saw two other animals that were in all likelihood Mountain Lions I stop short of stating that they were. The date and animal I site stood in front of my 1982 Chevy in the high beams for about 2 - 4 seconds before bounding into the bush. I was at full stop because it literally walked out of the brush on the right side of my road and I was traveling slow. I braked and hit the high beam and it walked until it paused for the couple seconds I mentioned. Broadside at perhaps 30 feet, maybe 80 - 90 pounds. I never reported that incident and only shared with best friend and family.
Ard I believe it and I understand why anyone would share it with family and friends and no further. It's like your reporting Bigfoot. DEC has this notion that no one knows what they see and everyone is seeing a bobcat. When a full grown male got loose from the wildlife rehab center a mile from my house a neighbor called to report it and they told her she was mistaken. The next day it was captured by the wildlife rehab behind her house.
Personnally I have never seen one here but my fishing buddy's wife has seen one on multiple occasions kayaking up the upper Lehigh. DEC tells her she's mistaken on every report. The woman has a masters in biology and has studied animals on 3 continents.The guy who reported the most recent sighting is an experienced outdoorsman and no nonsense type of fellow.
The Pocono Record did a front page article on the many sightings and the DEC is oblivious.
Our area is overrun with coyotes with wolf DNA where less than 50 years ago there were none around. If they can repopulate an area no reason not to believe a few big cats can't find there way. Tons of food. The deer population as always is huge!
I guess it will take an attack or a road kill before they see the light !
Old 07-07-2012, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

It could seem uncanny that I would remember the exact date (and time 9:40 PM) but I was preparing to leave for Maine the following morning. I used to go up every fall to fish Land Locks through the end of September. I have a thing for dates and occurrences; did real well in History exams

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-07-2012, 05:58 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

Our natural resources department has the same view. According to them there are no cougars in the area. I have personally seen one along with a number of other people seeing them and they still said nope just a large lynx (with a 6 foot tail). A guy shot one that was attacking his cattle and they wrote it off again. We have the same "coyotes" here that are actually a mix of 2 different types of wolves (red and grey) and coyotes and again they are denying this fact. I have seen packs of 20-30 of them in fields in the winter which is not a common coyote trait.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 07-07-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseman1 View Post
Our natural resources department has the same view. According to them there are no cougars in the area. I have personally seen one along with a number of other people seeing them and they still said nope just a large lynx (with a 6 foot tail). A guy shot one that was attacking his cattle and they wrote it off again. We have the same "coyotes" here that are actually a mix of 2 different types of wolves (red and grey) and coyotes and again they are denying this fact. I have seen packs of 20-30 of them in fields in the winter which is not a common coyote trait.
AMAZING!Ignorance! Like I said you would think you were calling in Bigfoot.