The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   News & articles for discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/news-articles-discussion/)
-   -   Cortland Line Company Bought by Group of Private Investors (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/news-articles-discussion/292223-cortland-line-company-bought-group-private-investors.html)

Editor 07-25-2012 06:12 AM

Cortland Line Company Bought by Group of Private Investors

New article posted on theflyfishingforum.com: Cortland Line Company Bought by Group of Private Investors

fredaevans 07-25-2012 09:24 AM

Re: Cortland Line Company Bought by Group of Private Investors

Interesting to first see this up on the UK 'Mother Board.' Not a peep that I've seen about this on US based boards.

Vans 07-25-2012 08:09 PM

I guess i am surprised Cortland is or was considered a premium brand. I have always have seen them as a cheapy low budget brand.

All the Cortland accessories i have had are average at best. I have one spool with some Cortland line on it. Crystal i think it is called. It is on my 7wt and is a sinking line i use for fishing the Metolius for bulls.Seems good enough but it was also $60-$70 which is pretty high for Cortland.

I guess their time was before i got into fly fishing.

cathyg 08-01-2012 10:35 AM

Part of Cortland's problem may have been to try to have something for everyone.

They sell everything from cheap ($15) reels to really nice Brook series rods and Diamondback rods.

The cheap stuff is found in Walmart and places like that so people get the impression that's all there is to the company.

theboz 08-01-2012 10:52 AM

Have only had negative experiences with Cortland lines . Don't know about the rest of their line but hopefully the transition wil see an improvement.

Rip Tide 08-01-2012 11:02 AM

I grew up using Cortland lines and I'm always surprised that they don't get more love
Right now I own at least 14 Cortlands and the 444 "peach" floaters are a personal favorite.
They're all very usable lines except maybe for the Lazer line which IMO has too much memory

wt bash 08-01-2012 01:36 PM

The 444s are classic and always be as far as I'm concerned. So long as there are glass and cane rods being built and fished there will always be Cortland Peach. The owners can change with the times just along as that line stays the same! They can sell budget lines at Wally World or sell some technical taper at a rediculous price point just don't mess with the 444 DT!!!

woodrivertroutbum 08-01-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wt bash (Post 474771)
The 444s are classic and always be as far as I'm concerned. So long as there are glass and cane rods being built and fished there will always be Cortland Peach. The owners can change with the times just along as that line stays the same! They can sell budget lines at Wally World or sell some technical taper at a rediculous price point just don't mess with the 444 DT!!!

Got excited when I saw the 444 peach is a great line, but then heart broken when you said to stay away from their DT. I don't want to sidetrack this thread but is it really horrible? I have always liked RIO then when I asked my shop about Scientific Angler line for my 2wt he suggested the Cortland 444 DT in peach.

Rip Tide 08-01-2012 02:58 PM

woody.... I don't think that you understood what wt bash meant
The DT peach is a peach and the 444 line that most people use rather than the WF
I have to disagree with one statement he made though
... I happen to think that the "cheap" 333 lines are better with fiberglass rods :D

wt bash 08-01-2012 02:58 PM

Rip Tide beat me to it! Now I'm intrigued by the 333.