The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 06:12 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default Cortland Line Company Bought by Group of Private Investors

New article posted on theflyfishingforum.com: Cortland Line Company Bought by Group of Private Investors
Old 07-25-2012, 09:24 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cortland Line Company Bought by Group of Private Investors

Interesting to first see this up on the UK 'Mother Board.' Not a peep that I've seen about this on US based boards.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:09 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I guess i am surprised Cortland is or was considered a premium brand. I have always have seen them as a cheapy low budget brand.

All the Cortland accessories i have had are average at best. I have one spool with some Cortland line on it. Crystal i think it is called. It is on my 7wt and is a sinking line i use for fishing the Metolius for bulls.Seems good enough but it was also $60-$70 which is pretty high for Cortland.

I guess their time was before i got into fly fishing.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:35 AM

cathyg is on a distinguished road

Part of Cortland's problem may have been to try to have something for everyone.

They sell everything from cheap ($15) reels to really nice Brook series rods and Diamondback rods.

The cheap stuff is found in Walmart and places like that so people get the impression that's all there is to the company.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:52 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Have only had negative experiences with Cortland lines . Don't know about the rest of their line but hopefully the transition wil see an improvement.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-01-2012, 11:02 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up using Cortland lines and I'm always surprised that they don't get more love
Right now I own at least 14 Cortlands and the 444 "peach" floaters are a personal favorite.
They're all very usable lines except maybe for the Lazer line which IMO has too much memory

Last edited by Rip Tide; 08-01-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:36 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

The 444s are classic and always be as far as I'm concerned. So long as there are glass and cane rods being built and fished there will always be Cortland Peach. The owners can change with the times just along as that line stays the same! They can sell budget lines at Wally World or sell some technical taper at a rediculous price point just don't mess with the 444 DT!!!
Old 08-01-2012, 02:19 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
The 444s are classic and always be as far as I'm concerned. So long as there are glass and cane rods being built and fished there will always be Cortland Peach. The owners can change with the times just along as that line stays the same! They can sell budget lines at Wally World or sell some technical taper at a rediculous price point just don't mess with the 444 DT!!!

Got excited when I saw the 444 peach is a great line, but then heart broken when you said to stay away from their DT. I don't want to sidetrack this thread but is it really horrible? I have always liked RIO then when I asked my shop about Scientific Angler line for my 2wt he suggested the Cortland 444 DT in peach.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:58 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

woody.... I don't think that you understood what wt bash meant
The DT peach is a peach and the 444 line that most people use rather than the WF
I have to disagree with one statement he made though
... I happen to think that the "cheap" 333 lines are better with fiberglass rods
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:58 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Rip Tide beat me to it! Now I'm intrigued by the 333.
woodrivertroutbum likes this.

Last edited by wt bash; 08-01-2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: I type slow