The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 05:53 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New NRX fly rods from G Loomis sweeping the awards

Interesting thread and 'timely.' The latest addition of "Fly Fisherman" mag has a feature article on 'New nano-resin adopted by St Croix, G. Loomis, and others."

Apparently (short version) this is Silica dioxide in microscopic dimensions (read that electron microscope to even see one); point being this stuff rolled into graphite really fills in all the 'holes' in the material. (Stuffs made by 3M, no surprise there.) 3M calls it their "Matrix Resin; stuff can be used on fly rods to golf club shafts to jet airplane wings/bodies.

Article suggests this is the new 'seceret ingredient' in Hardy rods .. what a waste of $$ there .... Several other manufactures (rods) are also interested/will use the product; some (Orvis as an example:).

All aside, this does sound like a jump forward for rod blank manufacturers, even if it's far more expensive than what's presently available. But, how much do they spend to 'repair' a broken rod? A good trade off from the 'git-go?'
Old 10-02-2010, 06:45 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Great info- guys.
In addition to the new Matrix Resin, Loomis claims to have found a stronger carbon fiber that allows them to make the rod lighter.
For those interested, go to the Loomis Home site and click on the NRX box.
The process is explained by Steve Rajeff, chief rod designer for Loomis.
Think you will find it interesting.
IMXER
Old 10-02-2010, 08:18 PM

fishordie is on a distinguished road

I have been doing product testing On Black Hole rods being manufactured for well over a year now out of Korea. This is on my Long Range deep sea side of my fishing life using conventional's and spinners for giant Yellowfin Tuna. The testing has shown this fishermen and others I have turned on to the gear the advantages of this material and methodology. The rods are much lighter, much smaller in diameter and have equal or better recoil than their present bigger and heavier graphite composite cousins.

I did some of the original testing on Micro balloons when they first came out as well and this leap, though maybe not as earth shattering, is in the same category of being the next step in the progression of lighter and tougher space age materials. I am not convinced the material is as expensive in production as it appears but G Loomis/Shimano is going to get theirs one way or the other. I will be donating some monies to them myself as I have numerous NRX flyrods on order.

FOD
Old 10-04-2010, 12:22 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

fredaevans-
Is 3M providing the "pre-preg", or what ever they call it now, for all the rod mfgs who are using the new nano-tech?

FOD
Googled your SW site, looks like the technology is being well tested by you guys.

This new rod tech should keep advancing as long as the Aerospace industry continues to flourish. Longer, stronger carbon fibers & new "tighter" resins, wonder how far they can take it?
All very interesting.

I
Old 10-04-2010, 03:00 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post

This new rod tech should keep advancing as long as the Aerospace industry continues to flourish. Longer, stronger carbon fibers & new "tighter" resins, wonder how far they can take it?
All very interesting.

I
You have (probably?) no idea just exactly how close to the truth your really are ... Many would be amazed at how many of the things we now 'take for grated' which originated in Military applications. From the Transistor to the Micro Wave oven.

Former neighbor many years back was a 'true inventor,' millionaire many times over .. and lost all but the last one trying to develop the next. (He was the one who came up with the idea how to scale down Navel Radar sets to .. the Micro Wave oven.

Amazing Man! Every so often he'd call and say 'I need to talk.' Always kept a very good bottle of single malt at the ready and was over to his place in minutes .. even if it meant leaving my 'desk job.' (Good to be in Sr. Management, you could 'pull' and no one questioned why.)

Amazing man who wanted someone (truly interested) to 'run ideas' by. Many were completely (at the time anyway) impracticable, but later??? Maybe before there time? Perhaps? Commercially viable?? Not yet? Etc???

All that aside, one of the things he taught me was to have a 'pocket sized recorder' on the night stand. He (and soon so did I) come to realize that you'd wake up (like bolt up-right) at 0230 and have 'ideas.' Many pure gibberish when you played back the tape, but at least you got the idea where your 'subconscious' was taking you at the moment.

A life experience that took (after retirement) a long long time to break.

Fred
Old 10-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Fred: That had to be pretty interesting to be so close so someone with that kind of mental genius!

fishordie: Be sure to post back once you get your hands on the NRX rods and have had time to test them. Being that they won't publish the rod weights, if you have a capability it would be nice to know what the average rod weighs in a particular wt class.

Larry
Old 10-04-2010, 04:27 PM

Larry it truly was; many, well some, were really 'hair brained,' but this fellows mind was 10+++ steps ahead of mine. The basis of his idea for the micro wave oven? Sea Gulls getting 'fried' by flying to close to a radar set on some Navy ship. 'If you could cook a flying bird in the air .......'
Fred
Old 10-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Larry it truly was; many, well some, were really 'hair brained,' but this fellows mind was 10+++ steps ahead of mine. The basis of his idea for the micro wave oven? Sea Gulls getting 'fried' by flying to close to a radar set on some Navy ship. 'If you could cook a flying bird in the air .......'
Fred
Fred: I can only imagine some of the converstaions you two must of had, but it would have been fun to be a mouse in the corner listening to that guy.

Larry
Old 10-04-2010, 05:36 PM

Fred-

Today's newest aircraft are being built of carbon, the R&D of which probably, at least partially, made these newest rods possible. I believe credit for connecting the two belongs to Gary Loomis.

Am waiting for one of the designers to figure out how to eliminate guides by running the line through the blank. Far fetched? Perhaps, but imagine your friend more than likely would have had a thought or two about that.

Paul
Old 10-04-2010, 09:41 PM

fishordie is on a distinguished road

Hi Paul,

Connecting the two was not a result of anything related to sports equipment. As others have noted this is a direct result of Gov't funded programs mostly developed by the Aerospace industry. Cowlings, hulls, skins and so many other uses have wormed their way into aircraft, missles and space travel vehicles. We have actually used Carbon and graphite to make complete small thrust jet type engines which have flow in space many, many years ago. I was using new forms of carbon/graphite before it was available to the public and could only be purchased from aerospace firms. We used it in racing sailboats decades and decades ago and the material has found its way into all sorts of commercial applications we see and use on a daily basis.

Many sorts of R and D companies have been and continue to work towards developing higher strength and lighter forms of resins, Glass or its equivalent and other forms of matrix type items not just 3M. This is a world wide endeavor and not just in the hands of Americans. Nano technology is the buzz word hear but tomorrow it could have a new name by a new company as the world travels into the next decade and next century

As far as line through the rod we have also had that for decades just not efficient at this time as the transfer of direction from the reel into the rod and then through the rod and out just is not efficient. That said lines are placed inside spars of all kinds in the sailboat racing industry, Motorcycles and bicycles or anywhere wind resistance is a factor. The only fishing application I have seen effectively used is a dedicated rod for Mackeral snatching rigs where the hooks are stored out of the way when not in use inside the hollow of the rod.

Anyway, If I should get the rods in time I intend to try them Mayaguana this month if I can put the trip together. We are just waiting to see if we can get one or two more folks to go to this amazing bonefishing destination which I have never been to. It sounds like one of the last remaining destinations where bone fish have not been over fished or at least so I have heard. I have heard all the NRX rods have now begun to ship out of G. Loomis with fixed reel seats.

FOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
Fred-

Today's newest aircraft are being built of carbon, the R&D of which probably, at least partially, made these newest rods possible. I believe credit for connecting the two belongs to Gary Loomis.

Am waiting for one of the designers to figure out how to eliminate guides by running the line through the blank. Far fetched? Perhaps, but imagine your friend more than likely would have had a thought or two about that.

Paul