The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: New NRX fly rods from G Loomis sweeping the awards

Hi Paul,

There has been bait casting rods out for some time where the line goes through the rod. They have not been very successful. One of the problems is the increased friction caused by the line being in contact with the rod. Beter than eliminating guides we need to make them slicker. The reason the SA Sharkskin line works so well is it has less contact with the guides. If they come up with a miracal material for guides it would help with casting distance.

Frank
Old 10-05-2010, 10:59 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

FOD,
Thank you for all that interesting info-. The tech is there, now we can watch for performance results, where we find out how good the rods really are. In my opinion Steve Rajeff is as good a rod designer as any out there and will get about as much out of the material as possible.
You certainly make a good point about what lies waiting in the future, should be fascinating.
Am sure we will hear from fishermen etc. after the rods have been in use for awhile. Something to look forward to. Paul
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frank,
Nothing new under the Sun? Not surprised to hear the line thru blank idea has been tried or by the results. Maybe the miracle materiel for guides you mentioned will come out of Aerospace also.
If we get as much discussion about NRX as we have about Sharkskin line, all interested in the Tech side of things will be ahead. Paul
Old 10-05-2010, 03:55 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
Fred-

Today's newest aircraft are being built of carbon, the R&D of which probably, at least partially, made these newest rods possible. I believe credit for connecting the two belongs to Gary Loomis.

Am waiting for one of the designers to figure out how to eliminate guides by running the line through the blank. Far fetched? Perhaps, but imagine your friend more than likely would have had a thought or two about that.

Paul
Actually Paul, they're already out there and have been for years. Speculation on my part here only on why not a 'big seller' is 'before their time?' and not sure how a rod maker would make the interior of a 'rod' smooth enough not to chew up a line (save for a very heavy one).

Again, just speculation . as in 'What the hell would I know?'
Old 10-05-2010, 05:41 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Fred,

Have thought about the roughness of the interior, would no doubt require a newly designed mandrel. Or, maybe they will figure out a way of making extruded blanks. OK, tell me they have already tried that too!
Beginning to feel like the oldest Nerd in the Forum, don't want to run the topic into the ground. Just find it interesting.

Paul
Old 10-05-2010, 05:59 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: New NRX fly rods from G Loomis sweeping the awards

Paul, no clue (truly) here, but you could be very right.
fae
Old 10-05-2010, 06:25 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
There has been bait casting rods out for some time where the line goes through the rod.
Frank
I remember those, Frank. To cast, you spun the reel around the butt of the rod so the spool was perpandicular to the rod blank.
I would imagine that if made today the interior of the blank could be lined with Teflon or some other super slick substance but you would still end up with a lot of skin friction, especially with wet lines.

Last edited by Jackster; 10-06-2010 at 06:14 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:51 AM

fishordie is on a distinguished road

Well, back to the post at hand. I received my NRX 11 Wt today and if I could judge a rod without a reel, line, fly or water I will tell you this rod "Feels" like the real deal. The shop owner and I played with it for a while or as much as we could without looking like Idol Worshipers. This thing is light in the hands, stiff to the feel with what appears to be plenty of whip for the bugs yet shuts off right where I imagine it should. Driving the butt into the tip really creates some recoil. Heck it would be a great spinning rod if that was the intent. I cannot wait to put a reel on it and throw to some carp in my local lake though I wish we had bigger stuff to play with. Oh well, next best thing to Tarpon and G.T.'s. especially since I will not be in the salt for a few weeks. IF this thing is as good as it feels..... MY oh MY. Now, I am just waiting for my other rods to arrive as the NRX rods 10 Wt and above were without reel seat problems.... I believe. Yes, Steve Rajeff may just be DA MAN. I sure hope so.

FOD

Last edited by fishordie; 10-06-2010 at 01:45 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:01 PM

FOD

Enthusiastic report, sounds like there will be a lot more to come.
Somehow I think 2011 is going to be an active year on the subject of comparing fly rods. Should get interesting.
Thanks
P

Last edited by imxer; 10-07-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:58 PM

oregonsteel has a spectacular aura aboutoregonsteel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishordie View Post
Well, back to the post at hand. I received my NRX 11 Wt today and if I could judge a rod without a reel, line, fly or water I will tell you this rod "Feels" like the real deal. The shop owner and I played with it for a while or as much as we could without looking like Idol Worshipers. This thing is light in the hands, stiff to the feel with what appears to be plenty of whip for the bugs yet shuts off right where I imagine it should. Driving the butt into the tip really creates some recoil. Heck it would be a great spinning rod if that was the intent. I cannot wait to put a reel on it and throw to some carp in my local lake though I wish we had bigger stuff to play with. Oh well, next best thing to Tarpon and G.T.'s. especially since I will not be in the salt for a few weeks. IF this thing is as good as it feels..... MY oh MY. Now, I am just waiting for my other rods to arrive as the NRX rods 10 Wt and above were without reel seat problems.... I believe. Yes, Steve Rajeff may just be DA MAN. I sure hope so.

FOD
Was the "NRX wild card" program clearly explained to you? It would seem that if you use the one time wild card you forfeit the ability to use the expeditor program or even simple lifetime warranty.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:34 PM

fishordie is on a distinguished road

Yo O/S,

That was not the way it was explained to me nor does it appear the G Loomis web site explains it that way. My understanding is the Wild card is a one time deal for the original owner only. Upon purchase of the rod the owner of the rod fills out the on line paperwork and sends it to Shimano/Loomis along with a copy of the purchase receipt. Upon processing of the paperwork Loomis will send the rod purchaser a document/coupon/ card or ??? which entitles the named purchaser a one time Retail get out of jail free card which allows that purchaser to go to a retail G Loomis distributor and do an over the counter exchange.. No questions asked.... ONE TIME and is only good at retailers with some issues should the retailer not have the exact rod in stock. This one is a bit fuzzy especially should any rod in the NRX line become obsolete. I am not crazy about this one and it really should be made crystal clear about what happens in this instance as for now it appears as if you cannot just ship it for the one time wild card to the factory for a free replacement and have to rely on retail shops to carry these expensive rods in perpetuity. Of course this did not keep me from purchasing 4 of these rods.

My understanding of what was explained to me and confirmed on the G Loomis web site is this is for NRX rod owners only at this time and is in addition to the Limited Lifetime warranty. Yes, other than the one time wild card there is a charge to use the lifetime warranty of 100 dollars for most states and shipped ground to and from the factory. 125 dollars for second day air and A couple of states, not mine, cost 125 dollars for ground. NO expedite service on NRX though I really do not know why. That is one precedent I do not like.

Anyway that is my understanding. I only hope my rods stay in tact for the rest of my and my son's life.

FOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonsteel View Post
Was the "NRX wild card" program clearly explained to you? It would seem that if you use the one time wild card you forfeit the ability to use the expeditor program or even simple lifetime warranty.