The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 12:17 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: New NRX fly rods from G Loomis sweeping the awards

FOD

I'm with you, if I wanted to fish a certain rod I would do so, warranty or not.

Imxer
Old 10-09-2010, 11:46 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
FOD

I'm with you, if I wanted to fish a certain rod I would do so, warranty or not.

Imxer
Not so sure I'd agree with that ... rod cost new 'dependent.' The 'cost' of a warranty is usually built into the 'sale cost' from the git-go for high end rods. The 'what you pay' for the repair is (generally) not much more than the mail back figure. Or at least that's been the case in my (admittedly) limited experience.

Would I pay $700+ for a rod (single or two hander) without one? Not a chance. The odds of me ever using the Warranty? Damned small.

That said, the cost of re-wrapping a broken section of rod probably costs 'Peanuts,' but having to keep a ware-house full of rod sections, etc., would have to be unreal.
Little personal experience here in 'Warranty Repairs' but either it was 'fixed' or I was offered a whole new rod (usually a current model) as a replacement (Sage).

Fred
Old 10-11-2010, 12:24 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Fred,

Well spoken, can't argue with anything you said.

Paul
Old 10-19-2010, 08:05 PM

fishordie is on a distinguished road

Good evening all,

Well I now have all my NRX fly rods. 7, 8, 9 and 11 wt. to match with my Nautilus NV reels and Sharkskin lines. The NV's are two G7's for the 7 and 8 wts., a G8 for the 9 wt. and the 10/11 for the 11 wt. all with plenty of 50 pound gel spun. I have plenty of spare lines and will try going up one line size per rod to see what happens. My rigs are setup with loop to loop attachments so changing line is a cinch. I delayed my next bone and permit with maybe some smaller tarpon/snook trip until the 4th of November at Pesca Maya to make sure I had these babies to take with me. I have not had a chance to throw anything with any one of these rods but I will soon and hopefully come back with a big smile on my face. I cannot wait to see if it is hype or the real deal. I am hoping for the latter. My worst case scenario is a great sun tan or cloud tan and a weeks worth of added arm strength from casting.

FOD
Old 10-20-2010, 04:40 PM

FOD

Sounds like you are in for some good times!

Looking forward to the results.

Imxer
Old 10-20-2010, 06:23 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

I just bought a 10 wt NRX that I will be taking to Cape Lookout at the end of the month ---It does great on land and I'm sure it will live up to the hype with a clouser on it.

Mike
Old 10-27-2010, 10:58 PM

Thumbs up Re: New NRX fly rods from G Loomis sweeping the awards

SH

feedback should be interesting, enjoy your outing.

I
Old 11-01-2010, 11:08 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Im back---albie conditions werent the best but i did manage to hookup a 30# amberjack on a big crease fly---woohoo

I was severely undergunned with a 10 wt but it was fun to watch it eat the fly and pull me around for 15 minutes before it got to the bottom and broke me off.

the hoop strength of the Nrx was impressive

mike
Old 11-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishordie View Post
I delayed my next bone and permit with maybe some smaller tarpon/snook trip until the 4th of November at Pesca Maya to make sure I had these babies to take with me
Hope you'll post up a full trip and tackle report for us when you get back please!
Tight lines,
Paul