The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default New NRX fly rods from G Loomis sweeping the awards

This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: New NRX fly rods from G Loomis sweeping the awards

I look forward to getting my hands on one of these sometime soon I hope to see if they do indeed live up to their billing!
Old 08-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New NRX fly rods from G Loomis sweeping the awards

Paul

Looks like the new NRX rods go on sell Friday, Aug 13.
http://www.flyfishingoutfitters.com/...s-g_loomis-nrx

Larry
Old 08-11-2010, 03:27 PM

atxflyfish is on a distinguished road

Anyone handled one that can explain what's different with the reel seat? The articles say 'no exposed threads,' but I see threads on the reel seat pictured in the article.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the link Larry. I see they discuss the individual rods but there are no weights listed. Unless the Loomis or Hardy rods are as light as the Helios I don't think anyone can claim the best just yet. In my mind the Helios is the rod to beat and just coming out with a new resin is not all the answer. I have noticed when an ad leaves out the weights it is not by mistake.

Frank

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 09-02-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:14 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Frank

Isn't the new technology supposed to make the rod stronger as well as lighter?

I
Old 09-02-2010, 12:28 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Frank,

This is a reply that I received from Loomis about the question of publishing the weights of their rods. Only speaks for one company but it sounds reasonable to me.

"We do not publish the weights because they can vary a few grams from rod to rod. They are all handmade which results in some variance from rod to rod. It caused a serious problem with a customer in the past which led us to not publish the weights."

Re: strength in the new NRX. I am under the impression that Loomis has used a new grade of carbon in addition to a new matrix in order to make the rod stronger.
I acknowledge that I am not an expert on this subject and welcome feedback from members who are. My interest lies solely in a desire to learn more about the new technology.

Paul
Old 09-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi imxer,

Well it is good that they sent you an answer. Their response doesn't float with me. They could take 10 rods or 100 rods and get an average weight and list it as a Avg Rod Weight instead of just Rod Weight. I don't think anyone expects the published rod weights to be absolute. By not listing a rod weight their marketing people can make any claims they want about how light the rods are.

On another note I was just looking at the Feather-Craft site and they are selling no less than fourteen different makes of rods. There are a lot more rod makers out there but fourteen seems like a lot of different makes to be carried by one store. I did note that Scott, Orvis, Sage, St Croix and TFO all had rod weights listed.

Frank
Old 09-02-2010, 06:26 PM

troutbum251 is on a distinguished road

I work at Cabelas, when we get a few NRX's in Ill be sure to cast them and post my opinions on them. Not sure when they will be in, hopefully soon.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:03 PM

Frank,
Apparently one Loomis customer thought the weight listed should have been absolute. I have to respect their decision.

Agree with you about the average weight used by the "listers", weighing each rod would be unexpected. A friend of mine has a HELIOS that has 2 7/8 oz in the description on the rod, will weigh it with my Postal scale. I have never been a big ORVIS fan but must say his rod is beautiful, straight and very light in the hand. Have yet to hear anyone knock their HELIOS rods.
paul

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

T-Bum

That will be great. TX

imxer
Old 10-02-2010, 05:12 PM

fishordie is on a distinguished road

Has any more information come out regarding the re release of the fixed reel seat versions of the NRX fly rods?? Of particular interest are the 7 thru 11 WT. versions for Saltwater work.

FOD