The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By noreaster
  • 6 Post By wt bash
  • 2 Post By sweetandsalt
  • 2 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 04:52 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default Presidential Hopefuls Talk Fishing

New article posted on theflyfishingforum.com: Presidential Hopefuls Talk Fishing

An excellent news article from the folks at KeepAmericaFishing who asked Barack Obama and Mitt Romney 8 questions that all US anglers should read the answers to.

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

Without getting into a heated political debate, what are your reactions to the answers from the candidates? Good/bad/indifferent?

Do these types of pre-election surveys sway your opinions at all in terms of who you might vote for?
Old 09-19-2012, 05:12 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: Presidential Hopefuls Talk Fishing

I always worry that big business corporate deals inevitably put fish and other ecology in the back seat.
I have yet to see an administration make loss and degradation of fresh water habitat a real priority.
Time will tell.

I remember as a kid fishing a small pond in town near a busy intersection. Dad and I landed many fish amongst all the jeering and laughs from motorists waiting at the lights. Little did they know the sea run brookies made their way up under the intersection from the river and sea.

A few years later a prominent business man back filled the marsh and put up a large Tim Horton's. That pretty much disrupted and spoiled the annual run of fish. It was never the same.
Editor likes this.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:16 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I'm fairly indifferent to what politicians say in this context, it all hinges on who their audience is. While its nice to know where they stand its not going to sway my vote, I'm slowly climbing out of poverty into the middle class ( going by todays standards) and would like to keep climbing. In my opinion based on what I've read on policy and heard from certain interviews and speeches there's only one that's going to help that happen. The other seems to care more about the top 10% and whats best for them, I mean lets face it when you live on the top shelf you can't even see whats happening down on the bottom.
fysh, Editor, bradyb and 3 others like this.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:42 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I expect any skilled politician to pander to his/her audience. Reading the questions and responses in their entirety non-the-less, my sense is that, while both candidates indicate an intention of incorporating the views of fishing organizations into their policy making process, the President emphasises the application of science to protect resources while the Governor promotes the elimination of red tape, to bolster local economies and reduce governmental size by downsizing regulatory agencies.

When developers start making preservation of wildlife/fish habitat a priority in land use, I'll start re-evaluating my belief that only stringent regulations can begin to protect our shorelines and river banks from devastating abuse. Clearly, neither men are anglers but the President expressed an interest in "catching a tarpon". This will not be the only reason though that I will vote for him.
wt bash and shotgunfly like this.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:43 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

This KeepAmericaFishing claims to be an angler advocacy group but in reality they represent the tackle industry. Everything that I've ever seen from them is biased in that direction and not necessarily what's best for the fisheries.
Science rather than salesmen need to direct policy
They don't represent me.
wt bash and noreaster like this.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:36 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I read the responses from both and it doesn'tchange my opinion that neither of them represents me.
I think that after the election, who ever is in office will want to try to create jobs via extractive industries and the pipeline. Once that gets agoin' we'll see how concerned they are with all the natural resources and the environment.
Personally, I think (reguardless of party) they're lining up to sell it off as fast as they can.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 09-27-2012, 06:53 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

The post was off topic.

Last edited by Hardyreels; 09-27-2012 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Time ran out on that one, sorry
Old 09-28-2012, 08:51 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
The post was off topic.
Now I really want to know what he said