The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By fredaevans
  • 3 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 07:09 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Where have the King Salmon gone. From the BBC

BBC News - Alaska and the mysterious disappearing king salmon
Old 09-19-2012, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Where have the King Salmon gone. From the BBC

Good post Fred,

I have opinions based on what I've observed the past 8 years. I will think long and hard on these before I write what I'm thinking. When that happens I'll put it into my blog pages here.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-20-2012, 09:07 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

It's sad to think that numbers of another Fish Species is in decline.
Like Ard I also have my reservations,however like everywhere else possibly over Fishing & of course polution has had something to do with it.

I don't know whether it hit The Newspapers in The US about The Super Trawler a Mother Ship,The World's Largest mobile Fish processing Ship.
It was Supposed to operate down our East Coast however,gladly when all The Facts were put to The Government to get a Licence to operate it was defeated & The Licence stopped byThe Politicians who have the Balance of Power in The Government,they said they were unsure what the outcome would be .
The Fisheries said The operation of The Ship was viable with The Fish Populations.
The everyday people knew what would have happen,like everthing else it's impossible to do anything when it's too late.
Brian.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Brian,

For a real time glimpse of what is happening in a large portion of Alaska right now, take a look at the thread titled 'A Clear And Present Threat'. As I write this the rain continues here........

Old 09-21-2012, 11:34 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Heck of it is, fish stocks in the North Atlantic are, or have, hit the tip over spot and in steep decline. Apparently they're (Euro Zone) thinking about massive hatchery programs .... and we all know how well those have worked on our side of the Pond.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Administrator

While hatcheries are scorned by many, without the hatcheries and the introduction of Pacific salmon stocks into the Great Lakes system the region on a whole would have suffered billions of dollars in lost revenue since the early 70's.

Given the choice between having kings reared in hatcheries using our dwindling stocks as the seed strain or seeing the species in the sort of 'endangered' condition they currently are, I would have to opt for the hatchery's.

What we have here are once legendary numbers of the King and in many river systems Pacific Silver Salmon reduced to the point that they are & can be 'hand counted'. With rivers closed in great numbers because of a failure to meet the base escapement goal for reproduction of the runs this is not a time for lengthly studies and the hiring of consultants.

The only other means of recovery I can think of off the cuff would be a 5 year moratorium on harvest in any and all river systems afflicted by the lack of numbers. This would have to extend into the Cook Inlet in this area and apply to the commercial fleet as well.

I think we can all guess how popular an idea that would be. I believe we are fast being faced with the old "For God's sake man, do something even if it's wrong" scenario here.
fysh, mcnerney and littledavid123 like this.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:47 AM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough

Well said Hardyreels. It sure is that point to where you say do something! I know hatcheries would be a last resort especially to a state like Alaska. Now to look at it straight there would be no more salmon in California if there had not been hatcheries installments put in place to help out the fish.

Some say that hatchery fish are no good but to me I just don't see a difference. My big question and maybe a fix is to stop commercial fishing for a year and see what happens to salmon returns. This would be a tough one to make happen.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winxp_man View Post
Well said Hardyreels. It sure is that point to where you say do something! I know hatcheries would be a last resort especially to a state like Alaska. Now to look at it straight there would be no more salmon in California if there had not been hatcheries installments put in place to help out the fish.

Some say that hatchery fish are no good but to me I just don't see a difference. My big question and maybe a fix is to stop commercial fishing for a year and see what happens to salmon returns. This would be a tough one to make happen.
One of the major problems in Kalifornia is too much water is being drawn (Sacramento as an example) off for irrigation. This year may be the first where the 'runs' are noteworthy. Washington State has had a 'buy out' (commercial fishing boat) program in place for years. I think Oregon also, but don't quote me on that.

Bottom line is 'over fishing' in both the North Pacific and North Atlantic. Too many chasing a declining resource. As for hatchery programs, who actually pays for the majority of the costs and who gets most of the benefit? Do 'we' do a total ban on commercial fishing (including ocean charters) and go to 100% C & R for sportsmen? In Washington Rivers where Indian Tribes are allowed to 'kill' half the fish that swim (short of required escapement)?

Adromodus (sp this morning ) fish have at least a 4 year cycle from egg to spawning so you'd have to shut everything down for at least 12 years to see if even that had a positive impact?

Most river systems no longer allow you to retain a 'Native Fish,' the Rogue being a minor exception (you can keep up to 5 winter natives). Rest, back he/she goes. Gill nets can't tell - don't care. Commercial guy just tosses the dead fish back in the Ocean?

And so on .......

Mini Rant over .... but we're long past the point where really hard decisions should have been made?