The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   News & articles for discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/news-articles-discussion/)
-   -   Habitat Protection Vital To Native Trout (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/news-articles-discussion/300364-habitat-protection-vital-native-trout.html)

Editor 10-24-2012 09:37 AM

Habitat Protection Vital To Native Trout

New article posted on theflyfishingforum.com: Habitat Protection Vital To Native Trout

Editor 10-25-2012 05:24 AM

Re: Habitat Protection Vital To Native Trout

Talking of native trout, has anyone ever attempted any of the trout challenges that several state DFG have issued where you try to catch as many of the local species as possible and get a certificate if achieved?

Always thought that sounded like a great reason to go fishing, get to see (hopefully) some cool species that you might not other come across and end up with a nice wall hanging if all works out!

mcnerney 10-25-2012 08:24 AM

Paul

Wyoming has a Cut Slam program where they present you with a beautiful certificate if you can land and show evidence of landing all four sub-species of cutthroats in the state. So far I have three of the four, missing the Bonneville Cutthroat......now that I live on the west side of the state that should be pretty easy. Here are the details to the Wyoming cutthroat program:
Wyoming Game & Fish Department

Larry

Editor 10-26-2012 04:06 AM

Yep that's the sort of program I meant Larry - the artwork on those certificates is really nice. I seem to remember there was one up in Northern California that someone wrote an article about many years ago when I was still down in San Diego (sigh). I thought that would be a brilliant week or two spent exploring little remote streams and other waters hunting down the different fish.

noreaster 10-26-2012 04:51 AM

I agree completely. Here in PEI, governments records of watershed protection are shameful. We have a few real wonderful conservationists who, a number of years ago, put together a round table committee and report, laying out recommendations that would have protected all our watersheds properly. It was received by the province.

They made a couple little improvements here and there, and promptly shelved it. Since that time we have suffered dozens of catastrophic fish kills, wide spread siltation and loss of habitat from agriculture run off, damage to many estuaries from muscle farming, anoxia or clouding of waters from algae blooms related to unhealthy water temps. and a build up of nitrates once again from improper land use practices. I don't blame farmers, rather the province for being irresponsible with our resources. Most ironic though is what is on our license plates "Canada's Green Province" Should be Canada's Green Gables Province instead.:rolleyes: