The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By Editor
  • 1 Post By noreaster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 09:37 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default Habitat Protection Vital To Native Trout

New article posted on theflyfishingforum.com: Habitat Protection Vital To Native Trout
Old 10-25-2012, 05:24 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Habitat Protection Vital To Native Trout

Talking of native trout, has anyone ever attempted any of the trout challenges that several state DFG have issued where you try to catch as many of the local species as possible and get a certificate if achieved?

Always thought that sounded like a great reason to go fishing, get to see (hopefully) some cool species that you might not other come across and end up with a nice wall hanging if all works out!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:24 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Paul

Wyoming has a Cut Slam program where they present you with a beautiful certificate if you can land and show evidence of landing all four sub-species of cutthroats in the state. So far I have three of the four, missing the Bonneville Cutthroat......now that I live on the west side of the state that should be pretty easy. Here are the details to the Wyoming cutthroat program:
Wyoming Game & Fish Department

Larry
Editor likes this.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:06 AM
Editor

Yep that's the sort of program I meant Larry - the artwork on those certificates is really nice. I seem to remember there was one up in Northern California that someone wrote an article about many years ago when I was still down in San Diego (sigh). I thought that would be a brilliant week or two spent exploring little remote streams and other waters hunting down the different fish.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:51 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I agree completely. Here in PEI, governments records of watershed protection are shameful. We have a few real wonderful conservationists who, a number of years ago, put together a round table committee and report, laying out recommendations that would have protected all our watersheds properly. It was received by the province.

They made a couple little improvements here and there, and promptly shelved it. Since that time we have suffered dozens of catastrophic fish kills, wide spread siltation and loss of habitat from agriculture run off, damage to many estuaries from muscle farming, anoxia or clouding of waters from algae blooms related to unhealthy water temps. and a build up of nitrates once again from improper land use practices. I don't blame farmers, rather the province for being irresponsible with our resources. Most ironic though is what is on our license plates "Canada's Green Province" Should be Canada's Green Gables Province instead.
mcnerney likes this.