The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 04:04 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default Lance is the Champion!

No not that Lance - this time it's all about Lance Egan, of Salt Lake City, who won the 2012 USA National Fly Fishing Championships in Central Oregon last week.

Last Thursday through Saturday, 46 qualified competitors fished five different waters, including East, Lava and South Twin lakes, as well as the Upper Deschutes and Crooked rivers. Scoring was based on the size and number of fish caught. Volunteer controllers from Central Oregon Flyfishers and Sunriver Anglers monitored competitors and counted and measured the landed fish.

Egan caught and released 118 fish over the three days. Most of the catch consisted of rainbow and brown trout.

Fishing locations on the rivers included the Crooked River below Bowman Dam, and the Upper Deschutes at Big Eddy Rapids and Meadow Camp. On the lakes, competitors fished from boats.

Among Central Oregon entries, Scott Robertson, of Bend, finished in 31st place with 69 fish. Russell Robertson, Scott’s son, finished 34th with 43 fish.

Anglers qualified for the sixth annual national championships by placing in the top five at one of five regional qualifiers staged throughout the country earlier this year.

This marked the first time the national event was staged in Central Oregon. The area hosted regional qualifiers in each of the previous two years, and it hosted the first-ever Team USA qualifier in 2005.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:45 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Lance is the Champion!

Never heard of him!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:09 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I've never heard of Lance Egan either, but pretty impressive results to land 118 fish in a competition like that, congrats!

Larry

Old 10-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That's a bunch of fish in 3 days time! Not only is Lance a very good fish catcher but the rivers and lakes are obviously holding a lot of fish, wow. That's incredible really, he caught an average of 39 fish / day, wow. No doubt there were those that came unhooked and if he is a genuine fisherman the biggest fish got away...........

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-26-2012, 12:01 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Lot of fish! Hope this guy ends up on the US team instead of the usual powderpuffs!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-26-2012, 12:18 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Lance is, IMHO, one of the more prominent fishers and tyers out there right now. He's been on the US fly fishing team for years now, and some of his patterns can be real game-changers. I've had days when nothing worked until I put on a Rainbow Warrior. I keep 'me stocked in several sizes in my box now, won't go after trout without em handy
Old 10-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

And he is good looking! Lance is the best, hands down. Right on Lance!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:17 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

We've (Joni and I) have known Lance for 12, 13 years now. He works at the Lehi Cabelas, and as metioned before the inventor (if that's the rigt word) of the Rainbow Warrior fly. One of the best and smoothest casters I've ever seen. And he's a fishin' fool as you can see by Paul's report.
You would also think he has an ego, but Lance is one of the nicest down to earth people I've met. He also has 2 or 3 gold medals from ESPN games too.
Congratulations Carpman!
Old 10-27-2012, 01:13 AM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
We've (Joni and I) have known Lance for 12, 13 years now. He works at the Lehi Cabelas, and as metioned before the inventor (if that's the rigt word) of the Rainbow Warrior fly. One of the best and smoothest casters I've ever seen. And he's a fishin' fool as you can see by Paul's report.
You would also think he has an ego, but Lance is one of the nicest down to earth people I've met. He also has 2 or 3 gold medals from ESPN games too.
Congratulations Carpman!
Agreed...Lance is a great trout fisherman and might be the best in the country right now. He has won a lot of fishing events and is a great caster. There was a time when lance worked at Fish Tech we used to practice casting on our lunch. Those were the good old days. Went Carp fishing with him once and watched him catch fish after fish. Tungsten surveyor is a better fly in my opinion than the rainbow warrior.