The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 12:15 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default HMS Bounty .... so sad.

I've been on board the ship on two or three occations (all tied to the dock) and a magnificent work .... no more.

Famed ship sinks off North Carolina; 2 crew missing - CNN.com
Old 10-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HMS Bounty .... so sad.

Sad to hear of the loss of that magnificant ship and the two sailors that lost their lives when washed overboard.

Larry

Old 10-29-2012, 12:57 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Hell of it is, 150 years ago (give or take) she was the norm. "Wooden ships and Iron Men."

fae
Old 10-29-2012, 01:05 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

Those Coasties clank when they walk.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:21 PM

Not sure what you're referring to (Coasties) , but (now waaaaay back in the day) in flack jackets, football helmets and wired to each side of the open bridge in 40 and 44 footers.

Small craft warnings .... Ooooo, a good sail in a stiff wind. Gale warning, ditto +1. Full Gale and the twits would still pull off the dock. And we had to be out there to pull their sorry butts out of the jam that was likely to happen.

Normal station was the Smith Island Race Track (east end of the Straights of Juan De Fucx U when things hit the fan. Worst one was a Hobbie Cat race from Anacordes? to Victoria, BC. Ripping weather and they still held the 'race.'

Just my 'boat' pulled 9 people out of the water. One AHole 'help me right my boat!!!!!' Like I'm going to put one of my crew in the water for that?? Guy was insistant, went below and got the rifle and put a full clip through the two hulls.

Thought I'd catch hell for that one ... not a word, not a word.

fae
Old 10-29-2012, 01:33 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes during a big blow like we're having now, the old wreaks will expose themselves

Click the image to open in full size.
Hardyreels and williamhj like this.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:36 PM

I'd have to dig it up (other computer) of a ship wreck map off the Columbia river bar in SW Washington/NW Oregon. Place is littered with them.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:28 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Not sure what you're referring to (Coasties) , but (now waaaaay back in the day) in flack jackets, football helmets and wired to each side of the open bridge in 40 and 44 footers.

Small craft warnings .... Ooooo, a good sail in a stiff wind. Gale warning, ditto +1. Full Gale and the twits would still pull off the dock. And we had to be out there to pull their sorry butts out of the jam that was likely to happen.

Normal station was the Smith Island Race Track (east end of the Straights of Juan De Fucx U when things hit the fan. Worst one was a Hobbie Cat race from Anacordes? to Victoria, BC. Ripping weather and they still held the 'race.'

Just my 'boat' pulled 9 people out of the water. One AHole 'help me right my boat!!!!!' Like I'm going to put one of my crew in the water for that?? Guy was insistant, went below and got the rifle and put a full clip through the two hulls.

Thought I'd catch hell for that one ... not a word, not a word.

fae
Referring to the sound of big brass pieces clanging together. My stepson's a Coastie, current boat is the Big T.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Click the image to open in full size.

Uhhhh......metal detector?
Old 10-29-2012, 04:27 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
I've been on board the ship on two or three occations (all tied to the dock) and a magnificent work .... no more.

Famed ship sinks off North Carolina; 2 crew missing - CNN.com
Hi Fred.
Bad news about The Bounty,its Home Port was Sydney as It was owned by an Australian Businessman,he owned a property a Good friend once managed.
It was brought to Australia in 1988 for our Centennial & A Regatta of Tall Ships from around The World,subsequently it was for sale & Bruce Reid bought it.
I also saw & went aboard,however I didn't get to sail on her.
RIP Bounty.
A part of The Worlds Heritage Lost.
Brian.