The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 12:42 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Striped Bass Poachers

If the sale of striped bass was outlawed it would end all commercial poaching

USDOJ: Virginia Charter Fishing Boat Captains Indicted for Lacey Act Violations and Other Crimes
Quote:
The indictment also alleges that, as part of the conspiracy, Adams and others would puncture the air bladder of Striped Bass and, if contacted by law enforcement, would throw illegally-harvested Striped Bass into the sea in hopes of avoiding detection.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:54 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Striped Bass Poachers

I hope that in addition to prison/fines/vessel loss, their captaincies can also be revoked. Rip, be it on the state or federal level, is there a distinction between sport caught and commercial caught sale of seafood? These cases sound like they were sport charters to me. milt.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:17 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The commercial market makes this possible.
If it was illegal to buy and sell striped bass there would be no incentive
Old 11-12-2012, 05:13 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I too wish bass were a catch and release game fish only. And, until they are, when introduced at a cocktail party as an angler and pleasant folk say,"lucky you, you get to eat all the wild striped bass you want", I say, "oh no, I know too much about fish and I would never eat a fish that had more mirex, mercury, dioxin and over a lifetime's supply of PCB's in it than protein. Why not just take a cancer pill and be done with it!" Propaganda is a two way street, cheers.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I would never eat a fish that had more mirex, mercury, dioxin and over a lifetime's supply of PCB's in it than protein. Why not just take a cancer pill and be done with it!" Propaganda is a two way street, cheers.
When I worked for the MN DNR I was told if I took that street anymore it would be the end of my job. I said the same thing about Lake Sturgeon, and believe me it's much more dangerous to eat them than a Striped Bass, and it got back to the office. I told them it was true and I was aked first. The last thing said was "You aren't allowed to be the messanger."

Better yet when the consumption advisory came out one year, our #2 guy said "This pisses me off" and tossed two cases of them in the trash.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:26 AM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

Tell them to head to Lake Powell. More stripers than you can shake a stick at and there is no limit!!