The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 04:46 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation Urgent request from AFFTA - The Sportsmen's Act of 2012

In the next 24 hours, the U.S. Senate is expected to vote on possibly the most comprehensive piece of legislation for sportsmen in decades and your support is needed. Senator John Tester (D-MT) along with fourteen co-sponsors introduced the Sportsmen’s Act of 2012 this past September.

Bills included in the Sportsmen’s Act, which would effect anglers are the National Fish Habitat Conservation Act – Which would authorize the National Fish Habitat Partnership, to conserve, restore and enhance aquatic habitat and Making Public Lands Public Act – Increases access for angling on federal lands by directing 1.5 percent of the Land and Water Conservation Fund to ensure access to fishing, hunting and other outdoor recreational activities.

Given the tight time frame for a final passage vote on the Sportsmen's Act in the Senate tomorrow, our friends at the American Sportfishing Association (ASA) have provided a means to email your state’s senator’s here and if you would like to talk to your state’s senator’s the phone number for the Operator at the U.S. Congress is: (202)-224-3121.

A complete summary of the Sportsmen’s Act can be viewed here.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:15 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Urgent request from AFFTA - The Sportsmen's Act of 2012

Fortunately for me (and all of us) Mr. Tester is my Senator and will be for the 6 years! He is good man and has worked hard on public land issues. I hope he can finally get this bill passed.

It only takes a couple minutes, even less if you just call your Senator's office and tell the aid that you hope he/she will vote to pass this bill.

Thanks!
Hardyreels and Troutwhisperer like this.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:55 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if I'm so keen on this bill, while its stated purpose is to provide access to federal properties. Hidden away within the amendments is the right to seize land, buildings and water rights away from private citizens.

Anything that smells of redistribution of my property (taking my hard earned stuff to give to another) is NOT a good thing. If the amendments were written so as to offer fair value for private property, then I would support this.

Dave
Guest1 likes this.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:07 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Bit sent, but was a bit disapointed there was no 'room' for a personal comment.

I love the bit about banning fishermen the use of lead for weight. Has anyone advanced a resonable alternative?
Old 11-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
I don't know if I'm so keen on this bill, while its stated purpose is to provide access to federal properties. Hidden away within the amendments is the right to seize land, buildings and water rights away from private citizens.

Anything that smells of redistribution of my property (taking my hard earned stuff to give to another) is NOT a good thing. If the amendments were written so as to offer fair value for private property, then I would support this.

Dave
Agreed. Plus I have a lot of family in Montana and am well aware of Tester. I would not trust him as far as I can toss him. For example, he told everyone when he campaigned he was a rancher. He had family that ranched, he was a teacher. I saw Star Trek, that does not make me an Astronaut.
gt05254 and brucerducer like this.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:18 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

Diver dan,

Tester is a farmer and still operates it today as an organic farm. Its interesting that he is one of the biggest beneficiants of organic farming though with its tax breaks. Farmers near our farm have had to quit organic farming because it costs them money.

Rehberg claims to be a rancher but no longer even owns a ranch.

I trust neither of them. I like tester a bit more since he farms near us and at least still owns a farm.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 11-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

He inherited it. He was not a farmer or a rancher. And he seems to be unaware fingers are meat, Not to bright. Rehberg should have let someone else run. Filing a law suit against Billings and the little boating "incident"...... I realize you have a small population but it seems you could have found someone better than those two.

I shouldn't point fingers. Minnesota gave us Al Franken and Jesse Ventura.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:51 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

We have different political beliefs, fine. But John Tester is a farmer, so what if he inherited the farm? Almost every farmer or rancher of any size in Montana inherited the family farm/ranch. Because families here go back to the homesteaders. Tester also was a music teacher. Why do you not believe this? Don't answer.

Rehberg on the other hand is one of the top 10 wealthiest Representatives in the US House. Is busy sub-dividing his "family ranch" to make more millions yet walks around the state like a good ole boy that understands the plight and poverty here. Give me break!
bradyb likes this.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:29 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

That doesn't make any sense. So I'm not going to be a farmer when I inherit my farm?

Seems a little insulting to me. That my great granpda left Norway to start our little farm and a new life in this land and he was the only farmer in the family I guess.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 11-15-2012, 07:02 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't say this with malice, but perhaps it's best if the editor refrained from american politics.

Dave
imxer and Guest1 like this.