The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 09:53 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: politicians, lobbyists and money

Is it really hypocritical to question the methods and ethics in which these products are brought to us?

No, its not hypocritical to question it. But it is to complain and stomp our feet and say something should be done about it all the while consuming the products that are being produced by the very thing we detest.

It's a paradox of our society. We don't like the process or methods of producing the very stuff that we consume in excess all the while we want more products at a cheaper price.

We want our cake but we don't want to break any eggs or mill any flour to make the batter and we don't want to burn any electricity to bake it. Yet we scream for more cake for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Simply put we consume too much as a society.
littledavid123 likes this.

Last edited by klunker; 12-07-2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: spell
Old 12-07-2012, 10:22 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Its a double edged sword, in which there is no solution. But if you ask me I think its pretty lame that in this day in age of technology things can't be done in more efficient, clean, and sustainable way. To sit back and just accept it for what it is, to me is even more hypocritical. Acceptance is complacency and a complacent attitude changes nothing.
jsquires likes this.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:49 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

There are no emergency shortages of copper and gold. This (Pebble Mine) is all about corporate profits - for companies that are not even based in the U.S.
It is a challenge to wade through life while being mindful of Mother Earth, but many of us try.
And it's not all about parts for computer chips and boards, it's more about jewelery.
Fortunately some big businesses are not buyiing in, as the following quote demonstrates:
Tiffany & Co. has also called on the rest of the jewelry industry to follow suit, stating in an advertisement in the most recent issue of National Jeweler that "[d]espite the best of intentions, 175 years of experience sourcing gemstones and precious metals tells us that there are certain places where mining cannot be done without forever destroying landscapes, wildlife and communities. Bristol Bay is one such place."
Old 12-08-2012, 12:50 AM

klunker will become famous soon enough

You sound as if you think corporate profits are a bad thing. I know that without them you'd have no corporations. Why would anyone start or invest in a company unless they thought the corporation was going to be profitable.

Take away profits and see how long Simms or Sage will stay around.

There may not be any shortage of gold or copper but if we don't continue to start new mines there will be shortages.

Tiffany and Co. thinks the mine in Alaska is bad. How about all the mines in India and China. The 2 biggest producers of Gold. Are they OK? Do we only care about our own back yard? If Tiffany really cared they would stop selling Gold Items. Its all a PR ploy.

Like I said before, it all comes down to consumption, start living a simpler life. Less of everything. But that goes against human nature. We always want more.

More efficient, clean, and sustainable is not always one and the same. Usually Clean and sustainable are not efficient. Look at power production. Wind and solar are clean and sustainable but not very efficient. If we use just wind and solar get ready to have wind and solar farms all over the countryside. Wind farms aren't even that clean. They kill lots of wildlife. The solution is use less.

Eventually what I think will happen is our society will have do with less because of government intrusion. Costs will go up and we won't be able to afford what we once did. Our standard of living will decline. Maybe its a good thing in the end, we can debate that till the cows come home.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:36 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Do the mines in China and India destroy an entire ecosystem while killing a major part of the regions economy? Furthur to the point I DO only care about my yard! I can't control what happens either way but atleast I can speak out against it when it happens in America. The issue here isn't mines, wind farms, or any of the cr ap in your argument for not caring. The issue is a massive company with a politician in its pocket pulling strings in Washington. I'm done with this thread now but one quick question, based on your reasoning Klunker if a room is on fire in your house do you atleast try to put it out or do you just sit back and let the whole house burn saying "if we didn't live a simpler life style this wouldn't have happened"
Old 01-06-2013, 10:00 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

We can discuss the whys and wherefores forever..... JUST FOLLOW THE MONEY.... every issue that the news media spends days, or weeks, or years pushing around can be defined by Money. Greed had come to define our society. Most folks seem to think that the voter controls our government. Money actually controls it.