The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 07:17 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Great Lakes 'running out of water?' Interesting read.

New water lows for Great Lakes could drain local economies - CNN.com
Old 01-14-2013, 09:15 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: The Great Lakes 'running out of water?' Interesting read.

To quote Bob Weir "I may be going to hell in a bucket babe, but atleast I'm enjoying the ride"
jaybo41 and itchmesir like this.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:24 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The coal trade on the Great Lakes declined 8.2% in 2012 from the previous year, and down a quarter off the 5-year-averge --
So what exactly is wrong with this? And how much of this is a Great Lakes issue.. and not just an impact from cleaner energy?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:41 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Its makes getting into and out of port more difficult causing the tankers/coal barges, etc to carry lighter loads, affecting production for local industry. Overall shipping of western and mid western goods will slow as it gets harder for oceanic tankers to maneuver through the Lakes. Then there is the potential for local drinking water supplies to become burdened and there are already issues with water quality and invasives. The Great Lakes story reminds me of the Rocky movies,they've been knocked to hell countless times but somehow rebound.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:48 AM

klunker will become famous soon enough

Funny, now we are worried about low levels. I remember back in the mid 80's we were worried about record high levels.

The fact is the Great Lakes vary constantly in lake levels. This has been happening for hundred of years. Look at this link. http://www.in.gov/dnr/water/files/07...keMichigan.pdf

It shows Lake Michigan levels from 1918 to present. The lake has been at these "record" lows 3 times before, 1964, 1934 and 1926. Look at how it hit close to a record high in 1929-1930. Big change in a couple of years time. Also note that the variation is about 6 ft.

The big factor that affects lake levels are rain/snow amounts. There is nothing that man can do to change that. And don't give me the ridiculous line about global warming, oops, I mean global climate change, or what ever it's called today. Again look at the graph and how it changes from a period of 2-3 years.

If we think that we can increase the levels by reducing water usage we will be on a fool's errand. What we do when the levels hit highs? Will we have to drink more water and have mandatory lawn watering?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:08 PM

Who gave anyone a line about climate change or having to drink more or less water? Why do some on this board feel it necessary to attack any environmental concern? Why is it so hard to believe global weather and yes climate changes moves in cycles just the same as water levels in the Great Lakes? The issue of man's impact on either isn't worth debating because no matter what it gets politicized. Fact is weather patterns change, and along with that comes climate change, to deny that our climate is capable of change is ignorant in my opinion.
dean_mt and itchmesir like this.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:27 PM

surface film is on a distinguished road

Here in the Port of St. Joseph, LaFarge is likely going to totally close their plant down due to the fact they can't get their ships into port full any longer.

At least here, it's not so much lake levels, Lake Michigan is less than 50' off my back deck and it is on average the same as it has been for 10 years and I know until a couple years ago there wasn't any issues getting ships in the port full, incredibly high flow rates LAST Winter in the St. Joseph River brought down HUGE amounts of sediment though and has really made navigating the port difficult.

Here is a photo of what the Joe looked like all last Winter.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YlFeP-t1Ef...26498547_o.jpg

Obviously it was high to say the least...
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach
Old 01-14-2013, 12:35 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Now that's serious water!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:43 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Who gave anyone a line about climate change or having to drink more or less water? Why do some on this board feel it necessary to attack any environmental concern? Why is it so hard to believe global weather and yes climate changes moves in cycles just the same as water levels in the Great Lakes? The issue of man's impact on either isn't worth debating because no matter what it gets politicized. Fact is weather patterns change, and along with that comes climate change, to deny that our climate is capable of change is ignorant in my opinion.
Obviously.. Otherwise most of the planet would still be covered in ice
wt bash likes this.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:43 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by surface film View Post
Here in the Port of St. Joseph, LaFarge is likely going to totally close their plant down due to the fact they can't get their ships into port full any longer.

At least here, it's not so much lake levels, Lake Michigan is less than 50' off my back deck and it is on average the same as it has been for 10 years and I know until a couple years ago there wasn't any issues getting ships in the port full, incredibly high flow rates LAST Winter in the St. Joseph River brought down HUGE amounts of sediment though and has really made navigating the port difficult.

Here is a photo of what the Joe looked like all last Winter.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YlFeP-t1Ef...26498547_o.jpg

Obviously it was high to say the least...
I grew up in St. Joe! Used to fish for smallies next to the LaFarge plant, my buddies dad ran it. My folks are still in the area and kind of freaked out about the lack of winter.