The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 02:29 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Noted Fly Angler, Guide, Instructor April Vokey Now on Board With G.Loomis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
It's a smarter move on G Loomis' part. She is writting, guiding, doing TV shows, and everything else you can think of, so pretty sure she was going to do OK without them. Loomis on the other hand has gone through what can best be described as a decade of business psycosis. Back when I was making a lot rods I stopped making them on Loomis blanks just because of it, and they have gotten worse. In fact they no longer sell blanks, which is OK because what they did to them made them unwantable anyway. I'm not sure who they had doing their business strategy after Gary Loomis sold out to Shimano, but whoever it was really wasn't doing the company much good. Actually, they started going weird before he sold it. As I see it, other than some extra cash in April's pockets, I think G Loomis stands more to gain from her than the other way around. This is the first thing they have done in a decade I thought was actually a good thing.
i had a sweet gl3 when i was in high school that i really liked....my first and only loomis rod i ever owned. or for that matter, even fished.
i've seen em on the auction site and have thought about it
but i would agree there kinda under the radar lately.
and congrats to april!

casey

ARFE
Old 01-14-2013, 04:44 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Noted Fly Angler, Guide, Instructor April Vokey Now on Board With G.Loomis

Those GL3's are a good example. When they first declared war on builders, first they jacked the prices up, then stopped offering 2/3 of their rods as blanks and made the blanks for the GL3's silver. I don't know was in charge of their business plan but if I was in charge of him he would have been back making latte's at Starbucks.
mcnerney and caseywise like this.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:22 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

Sex sells and middle aged fly fishers will definitely buy it up haha. I am not saying all do, but I am willing to bet she gets a good amount of clients simply because of her looks. A lot of women are getting known lately and it seems that their looks are a huge part of it. Oh well, that's life.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:35 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum View Post
Sex sells and middle aged fly fishers will definitely buy it up haha. I am not saying all do, but I am willing to bet she gets a good amount of clients simply because of her looks. A lot of women are getting known lately and it seems that their looks are a huge part of it. Oh well, that's life.
Pretty lame comment, woodriver. Maybe just maybe, now that we are in the 21st Century and have seen viable women as U.S. Presidential candidates, chancellors and presidents of other nations, multiple Secretaries or State, Supreme Court Justices, and CEOs of international corporations ... maybe women are simply finally get opportunities based on intelligence and passion and not their looks.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:39 PM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road

April was at the Denver Fly Fishing show this year and she could not be a better ambassador for the sport. My daughter had the chance to talk with her and see her steel heading presentation, what an impression she makes on our young anglers. I even got a picture of April and my daughter together, and it is up on my daughter's wall. We have since bought waders, talked about fly rods and discussed the upcoming fly fishing season. Thanks April you are a credit to our sport.
imxer, mcnerney and caseywise like this.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:54 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

I am not saying women shouldn't be able to do everything a guy can do.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Obviously you haven't seen Chaz Bono. I'm sorry, so very very sorry.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:58 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
I'm sorry man. I thought you meant that Loomis hire her because she is an attractive young woman and she'd become some sort of bikini model with a fly rod.

I have a 5 year old daughter and I dream that in 15 years she'll be able to do whatever she wants to do and not be judged based on her physical appearance.

That's all, I didn't mean to jump all over you.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:49 PM

Oh no, not at all! All I mean is her looks do get attention and that can be a huge benefit for her and anyone she does business with. If a man is going fishing in BC and sees her and another guide with a full beard, a lot of them would probably rather fish with her lol.

I support women in this sport 100% MY fiancee fly fishes as well!

My comment probably came across like I don't think April worked to get to where she is, I didn't mean to and apologize for that.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:28 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

I'd never heard of her before and I did a quick search. Yeah, well, I'm speechless, which doesn't happen often. Now for the REAL questions:

Is she married? Is she in a relationship? Does she make it down to Arizona? Do I get to talk to her personally at that phone number? Does she have as good a personality as she does taste in sports? And lastly, will she marry me?