The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 03:26 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New rod material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
Fishing in the rain might get exciting.
It's not the rain that will excite you...it's the lightning!

Larry
Old 02-05-2013, 04:01 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45fisher View Post
It's not the rain that will excite you...it's the lightning!
Larry
It took longer than I thought it would for someone to point that out.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Let's not forget that the carbon fiber rods we're using now would be fine conductors of electrical energy if you were to get zapped in an electrical storm.
imxer and wannafish like this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-05-2013, 06:11 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

We could take bets on how long it will be before this wonder material bears the ubiquitous warning label, "Known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, poor taste in music, questionable fashion, split ends..."
Old 02-05-2013, 06:26 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

maybe take a peak at this...gramophene or whatever...there are natural longitudial fiberous substances that are quite sufficient...

plus the video is fun...t

btw...try this on dra$$omean...LOL...

Oyster bamboo fly rod durability test.mp4 - YouTube
wannafish likes this.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 02-06-2013, 09:26 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

If you look at the "small print" on G.Loomis rods, it does say something cautionary about lightening conductivity. Mostly though, fly fishing supports good health.
wannafish likes this.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:31 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
If you look at the "small print" on G.Loomis rods, it does say something cautionary about lightening conductivity. Mostly though, fly fishing supports good health.

Thomas & Thomas Warranty Cards have a warning in bold font regarding electricity and graphite rods...
Old 02-21-2013, 10:46 AM

fishstick91 is on a distinguished road

Fascinating potential in the world of nanotechnology, but at some point soon, lighter, thinner, and faster will have reached their useful limits (arguably have already). I'd like to hear of a self healing rod. Break the tip off in the door, put the pieces back together, and wallah, the material memory welds itself back to original form. Think it could happen?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:06 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Cool science fiction idea that the industry would supress like crazy! On the other hand, had someone put today's lightest thinist rod in my hand 15 years ago I would have said, imposible. I plan on fishing long enough to experince with an open mind the next big thing.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:11 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstick91 View Post
Fascinating potential in the world of nanotechnology, but at some point soon, lighter, thinner, and faster will have reached their useful limits (arguably have already). I'd like to hear of a self healing rod. Break the tip off in the door, put the pieces back together, and wallah, the material memory welds itself back to original form. Think it could happen?
Ask John Wayne Bobbitt.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY

Last edited by imxer; 02-21-2013 at 01:11 PM.