The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 04:00 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default New rod material?

Nokia begins work on graphene, world's strongest material | Mobile - CNET News

"Besides being the hardest substance in the world -- 300 times stronger than steel -- graphene has all sorts of other noteworthy qualities. It is also the thinnest object ever obtained by man -- measuring just one atom thick -- and the lightest. It is made of a 2D crystal and looks a bit like scotch tape, only infinitely thinner. Graphene is also transparent, bendable, and a far better conductor than copper."
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:23 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: New rod material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
...and a far better conductor than copper.
Fishing in the rain might get exciting.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:26 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

As long as it makes their stocks go up I will be happy hahaha
Old 02-01-2013, 04:29 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
True that; may have to go with heavy rubber waders and a rubber grip

Last edited by wannafish; 02-01-2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: added
Old 02-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Makes a person wonder how/why Nokia would be developing graphene, but the 1.35 billion dollar grant certainly gets your attention, not a bad gig.
imxer, Jackster and rockriver like this.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:57 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post

Yeah, really. Nothing like being a Lightning Rod.

Still, I can't wait to see this product in action.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:47 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Makes a person wonder how/why Nokia would be developing graphene, but the 1.35 billion dollar grant certainly gets your attention, not a bad gig.
Likely to have the Worlds lightest cell phones! LOL
Old 02-05-2013, 10:17 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

And the price of a nice 9 foot, 4 weight would be? Still interesting though.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:16 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

"Rice University researchers have found a way to stitch graphene and hexagonal boron nitride (h-BN) into a two-dimensional quilt that offers new paths of exploration for materials scientists. The technique has implications for application of graphene materials in microelectronics that scale well below the limitations of silicon determined by Moore's Law."

This graphene - hexagonal boron nitride nano-technological development appears directed towards the limitations of silicone as a semiconductor wafer alternative rather than a re-enforceable fiber technology. A more probable next step for fly rod fiber is a refinement of the current 3M nano silica technology in which the silica particles are made smaller (sub-nano?) and more precisely and uniformly distributed within the composit matrix. Besides further increasing bonding strength this would facilitate additional compression of fiber bundling making rod blanks slenderer yet stronger than what we have seen thus far. How will they write their names on such thin walled small diameter blanks? Maybe with graphene etched lithography!

[PS: My educational background is in the Fine Arts not materials science but skill at telling fish stories is translatable in techno blather.]
imxer, fredaevans, kwb and 2 others like this.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Banned

rayzor will become famous soon enoughrayzor will become famous soon enough

Orvis hexagonal boron nitride nano-technological development Superfine Trout Bum Rod.

wannafish and troutnut4 like this.