The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wt bash

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 04:08 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default Restoring a Nova Scotia River with Liming

New article posted on theflyfishingforum.com: Restoring a Nova Scotia River with Liming
Old 02-27-2013, 04:36 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restoring a Nova Scotia River with Liming

Well that is certainly encouraging.

Dave
Old 02-27-2013, 04:53 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Cool story. Good to hear it is working.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:53 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

several streams around here have that done and we now have wild brookies again in them.

Babb Creek Watershed Association -- Lycoming County

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010 Winner
Babb Creek had been polluted by acid mine drainage for over 100 years and has negatively affected the Pine Creek below the town of Blackwell. Local residents formed the Babb Creek Watershed Association and through partnerships with DEP, DCNR, the Arnot Sportsmen, and many other supporting organizations, undertook 18 separate projects with a combined budget of nearly $8 million.

The group managed operations of a large one-of-a-kind water treatment facility which uses a byproduct from limemaking to treat a very large volume abandoned mine discharge. Through their efforts, five miles of Pine Creek and 14 miles of Babb Creek have been removed from EPA’s list of impaired waters and the creek now supports a thriving trout fishery.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-27-2013, 09:44 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Restoring a Nova Scotia River with Liming

Fascinating read! Totally new topic to me.

fae
Old 02-27-2013, 09:55 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

The NY DEC has been liming a few of the lakes up in the ADK quite a while now.

http://www2.dnr.cornell.edu/ext/fish/trout/Liming.pdf
fredaevans likes this.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:11 PM

zum will become famous soon enough

Liming of different systems isn't nothing new,been going on for years...20+

The legal introduction of smallies and the illegal introduction of chain pickerel we be another nail in the coffin for our brookies and salmon.Our waterways are small and alot are all connected directly.Between the bucket biologests,barley tolerable waters and fishing pressure....it's going to be a struggle for our natives to survive.

I'm blamming this snow I'thats falling right now for this post.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:34 PM

cincyspey is on a distinguished road

i can hopefully see this river this summer...will be fishing for brookies up there.